Console at +8, everything else at +4?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazeka

Hi,

Liking the idea of this forum. ;D Hopefully it will be just as great/popular as some of the others!

Although the Quantum QM-168 mixer I use is adequate, I have a chance to upgrade to a console (Ward Beck) that is a little more flexible and has better performance/specs.

My current setup is a 3M M56 8-track used in conjunction with the Quantum, and an Ampex AG-350 mixdown machine and some outboard rack gear. All operate at +4 dBu.

The WB console I've been somewhat interested in operates at +8 dBu IIRC.

Although not common, I don't think running a +8 console with everything else at +4 is a unique set up. In other words, I don't think this should influence my decision on whether I should/shouldn't go with the console...

However, I want to ask so I have a better understanding as the console is a significant investment for me.

Are there any inconveniences I am overlooking or any downside to using a +8 console with everything else at +4?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to strapping the 3M and the Ampex at +8 and leaving the outboard gear at +4?

Would it be better to bring the console down to +4 instead? If so, would this merely be a mod to the master outs? Would the inputs need to "go down", as well? Or other mods?

Forgive me if these are elementary questions, I am still relatively wet behind the ears (I'll be 40 this year).

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.

Chris

Hey Chris

I just answered you're email.  8)

You'll have no issues using any +4 gear with the Ward Beck console. Basically, you'll have more headroom which is a good thing.

I loved my WBS console and one day I'll get her up and running again.

I've got to find a nice frame for it since I had to trash the original one or
perhaps I'll just rack up some of the modules and call it a day. I do miss
having faders to grab.

You'll love the Ward Beck.

Mark

Someplace inside the Ward-Beck, probably on the cards connecting to the meters, there is an adjustment -- switch, jumper, something -- which recalibrates the meters so that 0 VU = +4sBu. Find that setting, do it, and now you have a Ward-Beck console with nominal +4dBu output and awesome amounts of headroom.

Peace,
Paul

Just looked at the manual for the meters, and there's a sensitivity jumper adjustment for 0,+4,+8,+14db @ 600 or 150 ohms as Paul suggested.

So it looks like you're good to go!

Mark

Cheers on the QM-168! I got one and modified it and love it. Though is doesn't have the most flexible eq I like the basic straightforwardness of it. I put in buss inserts that help. Good luck with the WARD Beck!
AC

Hi Chris,
(Sorry to veer off-topic...) Cool setup! I love it when I find out about other people who use a 1" 8-track as their main multitrack. (I'm using an Otari MX70 myself, with a B67mkII as my main mixdown deck).
Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with the lack of a counter in your AG-350? Do you insert leader between every take? Or do you just eyeball it?
I have the full-track version of the machine and I absolutely love the sound of it; I'm hoping to mix an album on it one day.

Ether,

Two words: grease pencil
Two more words: "old school"

I try to avoid editing or leadering (I guess I am lazy :p). Also if my splice is bad (because I don't do it as much as I used to), I don't have to worry about splices flying apart during RW/FF.

YMMV.

Latest posts

Back