dammit I am pissed off and I need to vent.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

laptop hard drive died today out of no where. The problem was mechanical failure. I know this as it just started making a loud thumping sound. Then the os fill tree was lost and all hell broke loose.. I got a new hard drive in but I lost a lot of schematics and other goodies... urgh.... Why don't I back up my os drive as much as my audio drives?

pucho812 said:
laptop hard drive died today out of no where. The problem was mechanical failure. I know this as it just started making a loud thumping sound. Then the os fill tree was lost and all hell broke loose.. I got a new hard drive in but I lost a lot of schematics and other goodies... urgh.... Why don't I back up my os drive as much as my audio drives?

OS X Time Machine.
'nuff said.

-a

Aw Grrrrr.

That kinda thing gets me thinking about getting up right now and buying one of those
Icy Dock stations where you can socket 4 hard drives and back everything up weekly.

A friend of mine had a whole ton on his laptop too iirc, and lost 90% of everything he'd
created. He had a whole architecture course and a lot of digital paintings, and it just made
me wanna hop because his archive was really impressive. Thank god I only lost my itunes
library so far...

back up backup backup and then make a backup of your backups and back that up, preferably in a different place.
All my systems are backed up once a week and all data is back'd up every day and then the backup system (raid1) is also back'd up on a seperate external drive automatically and i also have some important backups going to a friends NAS over the internet.
Happened to me once some time ago that i lost most of my files, now that won't happen again..

Sorry to hear that..  :mad:

That sucks.  I can't wait till secure, cheap, quick cloud-based file backups for all your computers is a reality.

The data is more valuable than the hardware.

Let's just repeat that a few times together.  The data is more valuable than the hardware.

I still need to rent a safety box or something and have offsite backups.

Mbira said:
That sucks.  I can't wait till secure, cheap, quick cloud-based file backups for all your computers is a reality.

http://www.backblaze.com/

At $50 a year I would say we are pretty close.  I've had pretty good luck with these guys.  It has been nice to pop in and download a couple of my old files when I accidentally save over something. 

At $50 a year I would say we are pretty close.  I've had pretty good luck with these guys.  It has been nice to pop in and download a couple of my old files when I accidentally save over something.

That sounds good, but I've got three computers in front of me and one in my studio plus my wife's computer, and only three of them are connected to the internet...

Back