Motorola 2N3055 related

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini

Guys..

Someone offered me this type, is it true or fake?

2N3055.jpg

rgds
Imam

Hard to tell without opening them up...

The branding and date code look plausible. in 99 Motorola still made TO3 devices in Mexico. They have since sold that factory and gotten out of the TO3 business.

JR

Here's a good page on the topic:

http://sound.westhost.com/fake/counterfeit-p1.htm

While I have to wonder what they could find cheaper than a 3055 to buy and rebrand?  8)

The modern 3055s are probably not that similar to the original parts that were relatively rugged but slower than watching grass grow (not that slow in MS).

I think there was a thread here a while back about people wanting classic 3055s for their "sound" in some buffer circuit... My translation, they weren't more accurate, but less accurate in some euphonic way. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I think there was a thread here a while back about people wanting classic 3055s for their "sound" in some buffer circuit... My translation, they weren't more accurate, but less accurate in some euphonic way.  

JR

I fell into that group too, as i found myself being 'overly concerned' with authentic parts in my current N type build. Luckily the 3055 parts i bought off ebay, ignorantly, turned out to be authentic.  ::)

It amazes me the lengths that some people will go to to make an extra buck.

I vote, not "fake", but not Vintage Sound.

I handled a lot of those parts back in the day. The vintage hi-power Motorola baseplate is sculptured, thicker on the ends; the photo is a flat-plate stamping. Vintage TO3 used a glass-like lead seal, not blue epoxy (would defeat the point).

> date code look plausible

And trivially faked.

> in 99 Motorola still made TO3 devices in Mexico

Then maybe it is genuine Motorola.

But as John says, the fat old Mesa 3055s were different animals from the epitaxial construction which replaced it all through the 1980s. Later 3055s are as exciting as a doublewide TIP42B.

Latest posts

Back