how to make an Hit-Song?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the song itself is "crappy" then it will never be a HIT !!

If you mean the "recording" or "arrangement" is crappy .... well you can do
something about it.

There have been a few "Crappy" hit records but ... and it's a BIG    B > U > T
.....most have something very special or catchy that hooks you into the tune.

EG - You may hate ABBA .... but the melodies are great ... good pop writing for sure.

MM.

MArty.

just for the record, I definitely DON'T hate ABBA . . . .

One of my fav sources for inspiration is to switch to an ABBA track. They are all so damn exciting! Someone told me that the really wide stereo effect is the music triple tracked with the varispeed in up and down a few cents each pass, panned left right and centre!

This thread just put my energy drink into my nasal cavity. Hell of a way to start the morning! Thank god I don't drink coffee! ;D

If I had to put my GS hat on, I'd say that no amount of diy will make a song a hit because you miss out on all the mojo that product labels add to the recordings. Only with the sound of money can your music truly come alive. If you record every track with six U87's into an HD3 rig and max out the CPU of your mac w/ waves plugins, your golden ears will detect the faint sound of cash registers in the 3 MHz band. That's what a hit sounds like  ;)

hotbaby said:
i have a crappy song  :-\ what gear do i need to diy that it becomes a hit?  ;)

if you start diying, I'm pretty sure you won't do a hit. If you want to do a hit make music,
copy what is succesfull is a good start

nicholas

MartyMart said:
EG - You may hate ABBA .... but the melodies are great ... good pop writing for sure.

MM.

I'll go a bit further.

Great pop writing.  Anybody who is budding to be a pop arranger should study those songs.

grantlack said:
Only with the sound of money can your music truly come alive.

Says it all.

DIY'ing is basically about spending time in lieu of money, though most would agree you spend more overall value in the end. You better like "emotional rewards" over financial or social (though this forum goes a long way towards fulfilling that last one).

About hit-making..... it's like panning for gold at the tail end of the Gold Rush.

+1 SM 7!
Is your room treated?
Buy/DIY everything, then you'll be safe.
You can't make a hit with plug ins.
Without a good arrangement, no amount of mixing will make the song better.
You can't polish a turd. Spend more time getting the recordings sounding good on their own.
Needs more cowbell!

I think that about covers it. Now get to that top 40 hit!

hotbaby said:
yes this is cause i did not have the right equipment  ::) ;)

Well in that case:

Get all discrete circuits to improve the beat
Plasma meters for a better intro
Red or purple engraved face plates to shore up the melody
Transformer coupled-only to keep the singer in tune
Auricaps to update the synth and drum sounds
Tubes to make the whole thing less linear
Teflon wire for a better hook
For a catchy refrain you must spend at least 8000.00 per channel on your recording chain.
And, all your microphones must be coated with at least 11mm of yellow gunk for you to even have a decent shot at a hit.

This is all just plain common knowledge -  jeez 

Start with a great song.

End with lot's of promotion.

Actually, these days; the song and performers can be substandard if you have the
promotion end down.

So, promotion.

Mark

abbey road d enfer said:
Pure Bavarian beat
Uninteresting intro
Pathetic melody
Singer not in tune
Outdated drum and synth sounds
Linear from beginning to end

No hook, no catchy refrain, what do you expect?

Now. Anybody who is budding to be a bad song writer should study this post.

Back