Alpha pots to short for purusha 1176 case!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrioN

Anyone else had problems mounting the 5M release pot in these cases? The thread is too short to grab the nut on the front panel.

I was able to use the alpha pots on mine. The pots are tight but didnt get A lot of threads engaged. Have been fine for years. But someone told me they had trouble before. Either the new alpha pots have less threads or his plates are slightly thicker. You could use a nibbler tool on the inside plate so the pots are on the faceplate. No need for a milling machine. Mouser sells a cheap nibbler toward the back of the catolog. It's cheap but mine has cut out a bunch of eic jack holes thru steel on the same cases.

John

ChrioN said:
Anyone else had problems mounting the 5M release pot in these cases? The thread is too short to grab the nut on the front panel.
I had the same issue as well. As for me, even though I am no DIY expert, I do not like building stuff in general that looks like its a botched up job or pieced together job. You know, like a little mod here, a little mod there to make it work, cut a little out here, glue this here, glue this there. I prefer it to look like the final commercial model than an experimental model going through it's revision.

Anwyays, what I did was circled the area where the pot would cover and use metal sandpaper (which I have an engraver that has sandpaper attachments which I used) and sanded it down trying not go past the circle outline. Then the pot goes over it, and it ain't that bad. Though I prefer not having to do it in the first place since that's the reason why I bought a pre-made case.

I used an aluminium plate inside the enclosure on which I mounted all the pots and switches. This makes it look a lot better too, because you don't see the nuts underneath the knobs.

It's like this : http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35422.msg460450#msg460450
I'm referring to the W492 frontpanel

Studs ?  ???

My skills in english language comes short, I guess. Google translator wasn't of any help either , hahaha !

I made a large U bracket. I mounted this to the bolts that connect the frontpanel to the case.

I hope this answers your question, if not, please explain what studs are.

Back