Newbie question on GAC-7 Tube mic cable wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
Hi, i'm finishing my G7 project, and i found myself a little confused in wiring the Gotham cable, this one is made with Five of the conductors beeing 26AWG, while the other two conductors are 20 AWG, i was going to use 20AWG for HT and Polarisation voltage, but these must better go for the Heather filament no?, and the 5 others for the rest, but do i have to pull back the shield and put a solder point on the connector  ??? ::). Thanks a lot for the clarification

The fat ones are for the heater. And the twisted pair is for audio output.

do i have to pull back the shield and put a solder point on the connector
I didn't quite understand you. Normally the shield is connected to ground both ends, or sometimes just one end depending on design.

The fat ones are for the heater. And the twisted pair is for audio output.

That what i've tought thanks, but i don't have twisted pairs, all the others are all same gauge so just have to match colors, maybe you're talking about the Mogami cable?

I didn't quite understand you. Normally the shield is connected to ground both ends, or sometimes just one end depending on design.

Yes ok, that was one of my confusion looking at one picture when googled, i was going to do it as usual ground both ends.

The other thing that confused me but is not a big deal, is the fact that the shield is not counted as the 7th, so i'll have one wire out, or i can double the HT connection ???

Thanks for your help Zebra50

on this picture I thought the green & white were twisted, but it's probably just an illusion.

http://www.gotham.ch/en/index.php?section=docsys&cmd=23_details&id=20

I probably was thinking of the mogami - I've used both.

If you have spare wires you can just snip them off, or solder them to ground at one end.

No twisted wires on mine, Mogami has clearly one:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=503

Thanks Zebra50

PS: Mogami is actually well tought cable beside the Gotham, i mean having these different gauge cables by pair.

Latest posts

Back