G9 Switchable Transformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrayCat

Is it possible to make a remote switchable transfomer circuit from OEP's to Lundals and back without hairy clicks pops and buzzes. I'm building 2 G9's right now (Actually I'm typing) and I will build one with OEP's and the other with Lundahls. That will give me an idea of the sonic differences between the two. If they are different I'd like to instead of making two more G9's add the transformer circuit for colouration. Input or output or both. Can a simple rotary or toggle switch do the switching between the two while powered up or do I have to switch off the units first. Can it be done while powered up? Bring on the ideas.

My new preamp features four different input trannies each with an XLR. I use goldplated sealed relays. No pops or clicks. I have a 1MOhm rsistor tying the grid to ground, AC coupled, and individual resistors loading each trannie, with the relays in between... (the resistor loading on the trannie is 1Mohm + the individual resistor) I have no DI input..

Makes it easy to compare four different mics/trannies..

And it's all remote controlled including gain :green:

No pics yet :cool:

can you send me some bottled tapwater from Gyraf city? :wink:

have you seen these Danish guys there posts? :shock:
it MUST be in the water :green:

sismofyt you ROCK bigstyle :thumb:

It's in the _beer_ Tony.. ØL! :green:

We may rock, but the rock music is way better in the US/UK :wink:

My new pre features thirteen trannies/inductors, 5V4 tube rectifier, 6AS7G tube regulator and no electrolythics in the signalpath or high voltage PSU.. :grin: :shock: All single point handwired..

Need some pictures of that. Company and part number for the switches. Sounds like a great idea to audition transformers and swap them in/out for different combonations. Cool.

O/T

Sismofyt,

do you know Tue Madsen from Antfarm?
he's from the Odense region, has found a good sound lately...
i read a lot of pos reviews about his productions.
checked some of his stuff out and it's sounding very 1176'd and valved up all the way. (not sur if you get there with bombfactory??)

The endcompression seems brickwall yet very transparant and that is exactly what i try to find out, what he straps over the masterbus, could be vari-mu but i don't have enough experience with vari-mu to be shure.

Could be that his secret weapons are GYRAF powered :razz: as i saw an intie about him where he mentioned Feedback recording/Gyraf

He also seems nominated for the Danish version of the Grammy Awards

Nope, don't know him. I don't live in Odense anymore, I'm in Århus/Gyraf City :grin: Checked his website, PT Mix system + some tube stuff..

I don't give a fuck about the danish awards. (Even though I've won one for theater sound design :roll: ). The music biz is utter crap here :twisted: :evil:

Straycat, don't have partnumbers for those relays, sorry. I yanked them out of some medical equipment :green:

must be Tubetech then what he uses...
not important, just curious.

Maybe Jakob might know him/his gear?
Music biz is the same everywhere, that's why we loved it so :evil: :evil: :twisted:

sorry to go OT here :sam:

Yep, I know Tue - nice guy - he mixes a lot of his stuff here in our studio.

In his home studio, he has a very nice old EMT mixer - full of Beyer transformers and discrete stuff, much like the Studers. I'm not entirely sure if he has any of our stuff - but I think he may have one of our early prototype G3 optical compressors..

Jakob E.

thanks Jakob for informing

do you know what he straps across the masterbus (at Feedback)?

EMT and Beyer trannies? Is there any recent make of comparible stuff ?
must be them Beyer trannies that deliver this "typical" sound... his mixes also come "wellvalved" out to my ears...

[quote author="tony dB"]do you know what he straps across the masterbus (at Feedback)?
[/quote]

I think he prefers the G10 for main stereo compression, G3 on drum subgroup.. I'm not sure - I'll ask him when I see him..

Jakob E.

Throw out that Whackie and buy a Helios and be done with it :shock:

Helios_1.jpg

Helios_3.jpg

They use Beyers and are discrete, like the EMT

And this one is a mere 165K$ at Vintageking allthough it's not designed by Dick Swettenham (Mr. Helios), it is an Olympic desk..

Olympic%20Console.JPG

Latest posts

Back