GSSL build - Expat mods and some extra

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flav

First of all a big THANK YOU to Jakob and everyone else here for the passive support found on this forum.
I never have time for anything. But a few months back i started to build a GSSL. Now it's almost complete - lacks a little bit of wiring some back panel holes for the ins outs and power and a good power switch push, and hopefully the smoke won't escape from the chips and everything will work properly. after that a laser engraving of the front and rear panel will finish the job.
I did some additions besides the Expat turbo board and VU driver board. I also made a board for relay bypass and xlrs, a little control board with 3 iluminated microswitches for turbo mode, bypass and power, a custom power board - with 2 pcb mounted power trafo one for gssl and another for the relays, leds and for the last adition the led GR meter based on pico compressor's (switchable 5-10-20db) - not tested yet. For that i will post the eagle cad files when i will have the time to test it and works ok.

current state:

IMAGE_000.jpg

IMAGE_001.jpg

IMAGE_002.jpg

IMAGE_003.jpg

supply board:

IMAGE_004.jpg

IMAGE_005.jpg

microswitch board:

IMAGE_006.jpg

relay bypass ins and outs:

IMAGE_007.jpg

IMAGE_008.jpg

5db - 10db - 20db GR LED meter:
IMAGE_009.jpg

IMAGE_010.jpg

PDF AND EAGLE FILES FOR GR METER:
http://www.axaprospect.ro/electro/gssl/GRMETER.pdf
http://www.axaprospect.ro/electro/gssl/GRMETER.zip

Hi Flav,

Did you ever get the LED GR meter working?

I'm quite interested in getting 4 of those as space on the front is pretty tight for my project.
Do you know where to get the PCB's and assembly instructions? (it seems that the PICO projects went commercial somewhere and DIY boards are no longer sold... that's really too bad unless they can be bought pre-assembled at a decent price)

Sincerely,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I didn't get the chance to test the GR but it should work (at least i hope so  ;) ). I'll post the pdf for the pcb / part list / assembly and also the eagle files tomorow. I did this layout so it can fit vertically inside a 1U rack case. I used 2mm leds (with 5x2mm body) so i can mount them very close. Only one drawback (or not)...you'll have to etch your own board.
I'll get back soon with the files.

Have a nice day.

Oh - so you made your own board! Very cool..
I also want to mount them vertically, so the extra effort you did will help at least one other person .... me  ;D

Thank you for wanting to share!

You too have a nice day!
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I updated the post with the links for the GR meter files - eagle and pdf (after the gr pics in my first post) - in a couple of days i will post the files for the bypass board and the power supply.
If you feel that there's info missing and/or you have other questions please let me know - i'll do my best (since audio electronics are just a hobby for me for shure i'm not anyway near the average dude that posts his designs here  ::) ).
On the other hand i will do another version of this gr meter wich will use standard 3mm or 5mm leds  mounted normally (after the "real life" test of this one).

And "wanting to share" is the best way to describe the whole "purpose" of this forum  ;) 

Happy DIY-ing,
Flav

Hi Flav!

Parts are ordered, but will be delayed as they only had 6 LEDs...  ::)
I ordered a couple of perf boards and will try if I can make them fit the bill!

One question though - why did you use a DIL Socket for the TL072 and not for the LM3914? - is the TL072 too heat sensitive or something?

Sincerely,
Dennis

Hello Dennis

I used a socket for the TL just because i have a load of DIL8 sockets  ;D, no other reason... or maybe just for easy substitution in case you connect the supply the wrong way and it blows.... ::)
The TI datasheet for TL07x states "Lead temperature 1,6 mm (1/16 inch) from case for 10 seconds: . . . . .300°C" thus soldering the TL071 directly shouldn't be a problem.

You can get the knobs from:

http://www.tme.eu/html/EN/knobs-with-61-mm-hole-rn-110-series/ramka_352_EN_pelny.html
and
http://www.tme.eu/html/EN/knobs-with-61-mm-hole-rn-110___h-series/ramka_356_EN_pelny.html

Latest posts

Back