HOw much cut/boost from pultec?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of building a stepped "mastering" Pultec, and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what max cut/boost is possible with a Pultec?

kindest regards,

ANdyP

HI,

i have actually answered my own question. If anyone interested, please look here, under pultec manual

http://www.recproaudio.com/diy_pro_audio/pultec_eqp1a.htm

kindest regards,

ANdyP

Hi Andy,

Hope all is well?  I've been turning over the idea of a stepped mastering pultec in my mind this last few weeks.  I have a different but complimentary question to ask the group...

IIRC the standard Pultec filter section throws away 18dB odd of level to enable boosts which is then made up using the solid state or valve make up gain of choice.  What if I only wanted +/- 4dB of cut and boost, could I rescale the values?  I've spent some time looking at the schemo but even though I broadly understand the theory I don't really get what is happening in the way that would allow me to redesign the filter section.

If I could build a filter that only needed 4dB of makeup gain I would probably use an existing piece in the outboard mastering chain to provide it rather than adding another gain stage.  I'm assuming that a side effect of what I'm trying to achieve is that the input impedances to the filter may not drop so low (hoping to avoid) an input buffer too.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Latest posts

Back