Very nice plugin VST for free, like clone diy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereokillah

there is twoo years i found this web site, it's aone man who make plugin vst like we do clone, the fact is that's i'm realy suprise about the effect, sound realy good for free plug
the negative point is: only for PC not for MC, but perhaps in the future.

there is : nevish preamp, la2clone, manleyclone .... and each time a new series

check it http://antress.er-webs.com/

Just downloaded and messed around with them a bit, a lot of comp/lim to choose from.  If your choosy about that sort of thing.  I don't have any hardware to compare to except for my gssl,(need to work on that).  But there wasn't anything that jumped out as totally nasty even at some of the more extreme settings.

my .000002

-casey

These plugins are ok, but the're made with syntmaker. This is not exactly the best code generator in comparison to hardcore coded C/++ plugins, optimized with special developed DSP algorythms.

If you want to have true emulations you need to buy an UAD card with extra plugins.

It's like driving a car, need to invest to acces the wealth of luxury.

detonator said:
It's like driving a car, need to invest to acces the wealth of luxury.

"The wealth of luxury" bespeaks fetishization to me, and one hopes that recording tools are not chosen on that basis.  The point about syntmaker vs. C/++ is probably a good one (I have no idea), but I just had to object to the luxury car metaphor.

I think I remember seeing a test review of these plugs on Youtube about a year ago or so. The reviewers didn't seem too excited about the comps, 'cos they compred the plugs to the original units that these were inspired from. But some of the eqs (they said), were pretty okay. Actually I used one or two of them once for mixing.

The "Modern Premier" preamp simulator is the one that I tested in depth, but ended up not liking it. To my ears it just adds noise (and maybe eq) in different shapes and to different degrees. But then again, I usually don't like any type of harmonic enhancer or tube simulation plug-ins anyway.

I like the front plates: inspirational. Not sure though they match what's in the code. But then again, these plugs are for free, so no right to complain :) -- Actually, I totally appreciate that Antress puts them up for free...

Not for MAC: I don't use Mac, but isn't there a 'wrapper' software exactly for that?

detonator said:
These plugins are ok, but the're made with syntmaker. This is not exactly the best code generator in comparison to hardcore coded C/++ plugins, optimized with special developed DSP algorythms.

If you want to have true emulations you need to buy an UAD card with extra plugins.

Don't just cite rumours you read on some other forum. And don't take everything you read at face value.

In Synthmaker it's possible to make custom C++ code, or even direct assembly. They use the SSE units of your processor directly. If that's not "native" then I don't know what is. A good coder will make seriously fast and effient code with those blocks, and just use SynthMaker for the UI. I have plenty of experience with this, and I actually had serious difficulties trying to make my Visual C++ "native" audio DSP algorithms involving polyphase oversampled filters faster than what I had prototyped in Synthmaker. And that's not saying I'm a bad coder. It's saying Synthmaker is a very powerful tool in the right hands.

This is not in defense of the Antress stuff, but just making a valid point.

I would also advice you not to believe everything UAD marketing tells you.

detonator said:
UAD cards and plugs are IMO overated and Hyped by sales and marketing.......some far from "true"

Meathands said:
"The wealth of luxury" bespeaks fetishization to me, and one hopes that recording tools are not chosen on that basis. The point about syntmaker vs. C/++ is probably a good one (I have no idea), but I just had to object to the luxury car metaphor.
The only point I try to make here is that Behringer (also pronounced as Ringbear) mixer will never sound as good as a Soundcraft Ghost. The difference is like r&d is stead of stealing designs, metal construction instead of plastic, choice of components e.g. Besides the part of the price that's only for the brand, that's what the price difference is about. And that's why a behringer product is a less luxurous product. And that's why most of the forum users here spend some extra money of upgrading their studio with DIY products.

Kingston said:
This is not in defense of the Antress stuff, but just making a valid point.
Your eplanation is fine. Don't worry about it.

Kingston said:
I would also advice you not to believe everything UAD marketing tells you.
I have been a reporter for about 12 years for several Dutch Pro Audio Magazines. I never believe marketing strategies. The only judge for what I wil or wil not buy is me.

s2udio said:
UAD cards and plugs are IMO overated and Hyped by sales and marketing.......some far from "true"
Why is that, because you don't have it, or perhaps can't afford it? (no offense) My basic thought is that a plugin will never replace the original hardware. To be off topic, IMHO If there's one overrated, overpriced and overhyped brand on this planet, it will be PSI monitors.

I wanted to like these plugins.

Once every six months or so I install the "new improved" Antress versions and always end up deleting them.

The emulations are no where near what they are trying to emulate.

The do LOOK nice.

Mark

Cool plugins! Hey they are free, I don't think anyone really EXPECTS them to sound like thousands of dollars of out board gear --- they are .... FREE
i'm going to check them out
Thanks for the Link!  ;D

Kingston said:
In Synthmaker it's possible to make custom C++ code, or even direct assembly.
Synthmaker is a very powerful tool in the right hands.

Oh, that sounds interesting. I once looked at C++ to program a plugin that would be difficult to build in harware but quickly thought: "No way, I can do that." Well, not sure mine are the "right hands," but keeping it truly DIY, I should take a look into this software... Thanks  :)

abechap024 said:
Cool plugins! Hey they are free, I don't think anyone really EXPECTS them to sound like thousands of dollars of out board gear --- they are .... FREE

I don't expect them to sound EXACTLY like the actual thing they claim to be, inside the ball park would be nice.  8)

When a plugin makes your audio sound bad just by inserting it in the signal path, that's when I delete it.

As you elude to in your post;

you usually get what you pay for.  ;D

Mark

Biasrocks said:
abechap024 said:

When a plugin makes your audio sound bad just by inserting it in the signal path, that's when I delete it.

Me too. Which pretty much goes for most...

It seems like this thread is descending into some plug in bashing.
In my personal experience plug ins and Hardware definately sound different, but to say hardware sounds out right better is speculative at best.
Its true there are a lot of plugs that are really poor, but theres also a lot of hardware that is very poor, so lets ignore that for now, because thats the stuff people dont really remember or mention when it comes to hardware.
But the top picks of the plugin world (Flux, Blockfish, Waves multiband) are incredibly pristine, and definately bring something to the table that hardware couldnt compete with, as plugins being in the box have a cleaner and shorter signal path. (im aware that A/D converting and going through cables and such like will impart other qualities to the sound again, but thats not always best and not always what people want)
There are also those plug ins which set out to emulate esoteric gear of the past, and a few do it very well (waves SSL, Waves API, Sonalksis) , i will say they dont sound the same as the hardwar, but again both have their own qualities, but chosing is an ultimate between the 2 is again personal preference.
I dont want to get into a debate here because its been done a million times beofre in a million other forums. I just want my 2 cents to be here so anyone reading this who might be put off plugin because of others comments, might actually just give some plugins and hardware a try and make up their own minds.

Autophase said:
It seems like this thread is descending into some plug in bashing.
In my personal experience plug ins and Hardware definately sound different, but to say hardware sounds out right better is speculative at best.

Nope, no speculation on my part as I have hardware to compare.

To be perfectly clear, I'm pointing out that these specific plugin's do or do not do the following:

1. Sound nothing like what they claim to be.  

2. Degrade the sound of anything passed through them, just by inserting them in the signal path.

Easy enough.

I also have a recommendation; since this is hardware forum and we're not building plugin's, take it over to KVR.

Mark

Isnt the colour that analogue gear gives to sound just a form of degredation.
Weather it is a desirable thing is a personal opinion.
You may want to take that over to the brewery.

Hey, just wanted to give an update on these...

I have a portable rig that I use just for one the go type of stuff...nothing serious, but fun when away from the studio.

I can't put any of my normal plug ins on this machine so I just loaded these plug ins and after mixing about 5 songs or so just using these I am really liking them!

The ModernVaccumer is great for bass
and the Modern Amplifier is nice too for everything 1176
the modern apophis is their take on the SSL and has a m/s and wet/dry mix knob

Its nice being away from my usual set up, it frees me up to try out different things and brings some of the creativity back...

Thanks again for pointing these out!

Abe

Back