Anyone have Access to LEEDs university...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abechap024

Hi,
this is probably a shot in the dark, but if any forum can produce results I would be on this one.
I am a huge fan of THE WHO: LIVE at LEEDS and hear that the actual space were that was preformed is still standing. Its the Refectory (sp?) at Leeds university. How cool would it be if someone could get a IR of that space? I know it wouldn't make a record instantly sound like the awesomeness of Live at Leeds. but if the right person is game - - - why not?
Thanks,
AC

I'll piss you right off. I live in Leeds. In the late 60's, early 70's Leeds Uni. attracted all the big acts.
I was there for the WHO Live at Leeds recording. Don't let nostalgia cloud your vision. The refectory holds 3500 maximum,
the acoustics are of a, well... refectory. The sound recording was a F*****g disaster with gear constantly breaking down.

I could keep you entertained for hours with tales of the gigs and characters there. Yes, I'm old.

Frank

Everybody has a different taste but my all time best rock song is We Won't Get Fooled Again. Each time I listen to it I get a shiver on my back. I am a huge fan of The Who.

Cemal, may I recommend the album 'Then and Now' 1964 to 2004 just as a reminder as to how good the band were/are.
Interesting to hear how recording technique progressed through the years too.

Frank

My wife got her masters from Leeds in the early 90's.  She regrets having shown up for the Who gig about 20 years too late.  I regret that she didn't take an impulse of the room while she was there.  ;)

I still think that is my favorite live album ever, and I am only a casual Who fan.  Something magic happened on that day...

I said a young man...ain't got nothin' in the word these dayayayayas.....

That Album pushed me down the crazy path to the world of audio...a freshman in high school I couldn't figure out why that album sounded so Raw and Amazing. I still remember the first time I put on that CD(and for me thats something)and from the 4 notes of John Entwistles' bass before the start of Heaven and Hell and I was hooked.
Magic - it is.'
then I got it on LP and it sounded even better :D
12volt - that is amazing you were there! What an experience! something little punks like me will never get to witness. Any insight on that night would be very interesting.

12volts said:
Cemal, may I recommend the album 'Then and Now' 1964 to 2004 just as a reminder as to how good the band were/are.
Interesting to hear how recording technique progressed through the years too.

Frank

Frank,

I've had it since it came out. Great compilation and I highly recommend it too. Incdentally, I bet not many people noticed something inside the CD cover. If you didn't either then open it up and read the obscured road sign on the right hand side immediately behind the amp.

However, since you've mentioned I got it out this morning and put it on on the way to work. I did not even do my usual short-cut and drove straight into the traffic. I was only too happy to get stuck at the lights and blast my ears with "We Won't Get Fooled Again".

Frank,

I've had it since it came out. Great compilation and I highly recommend it too. Incdentally, I bet not many people noticed something inside the CD cover. If you didn't either then open it up and read the obscured road sign on the right hand side immediately behind the amp.

However, since you've mentioned I got it out this morning and put it on on the way to work. I did not even do my usual short-cut and drove straight into the traffic. I was only too happy to get stuck at the lights and blast my ears with "We Won't Get Fooled Again".
[/quote]

'Townsend Road' :O)

From an acquaintance of mine who is familiar with the place:

Here's a picture of the refectory about the time of the original recording:

7002_leeds_stagesetup.jpg

-Apparently it's changed quite a lot in the last couple of years, and now it looks like this:

Leeds-Refectory-3-Large.jpg

The glass on the balconies -and presumably the addition of the acoustic ceiling- apparently will have made the sound rather different, so I'm not sure an impulse sweep will bring much 'magic', -though it might make people feel better!

Keef

Good grief, I haven't been there for years. :O(
The first picture must have been taken from the 'cross balcony', that was where most bands had
their mixing desks. The area was 'verboten' until Elton Johns 'Rocket Man' tour..... audience was allowed
on the upper floor, at the sides, but not on the cross balcony. Obviously to improve revenue.

Oh the memories!!

Frank

That photo from the early years says it all.  Look at the size of the stage and look about how much is covered by Marshall 4x12's (sitting right next to the PA speakers).  I wonder how many of those heads are Marshall Majors.  Now THAT'S rock!

I had a guy at the last NY Amp show go on about how loud the Vox AC15 reissue was, and that he couldn't even turn it up to 10, even when playing with a drummer.  I thought to myself that someone needs to take the chopsticks away from the drummer and give him drumsticks.

Just a memory, the huge bars were off to the left of the picture. Anyone remember the name of the guy who had Golden
retriever (the dogs name was Plato) that drank pints of 'Newkie'? (Newcastle Brown Ale)
I remember in one of the bars an upright piano. My mate Ian Shaw used to do a turn now and again. The piano didn't
have the honky tonk 'feel' to it, so one day we put drawing pins into all the hammers. Job sorted. ...

Well since it looks like the Irs are out... how about the recipe for Jazz sage chicken? I heard it was quite good back then...
;)

Back