..and now for something completely different..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
"..and now for something completely different.."

As some of you may know, I have a MSc. in Psychology - and now time has come to pursue that direction somewhat further. I just got accepted for a three-year PhD fellowship - meaning that Aarhus university will pay me (quite well) for studying to be a scientist.

My project proposal - and thus probably my general direction in the coming three years - is about trying to develop a statistical rather than an algorithmic approach to robotics control (and possibly artificial intelligence on the long term).

Why.

It has to do with nonlinearities. Because there's something about those nonlinearities that makes them tough to deal with in computer-based systems. Which makes real-world interaction a pain for any programmed system - because real world is stuffed with nonlinearities.

In our merit - audio - these nonlinearities often turns up as a "sonic signature" of a given design - impossible to quantify in simple terms other than the subjective. It is where dsp-emulation and even convolution comes short.

Nonlinearity is an aspect of functions that does not limit itself to a single and unique Y-value result for a given X-value input. Like mrl vs. bias level in good-old tape recorders - it's an u-curve dependency (but easily gets more complicated than this).

Why is this interesting?

Because nonlinearities do not compute well. Ok, they do in isolation and in simple cases, if you know how to specify them detailed to your computer - but even then, if you have multiple nonlinear systems interacting, you end up using more computing than you've got. The point is that such systems can behave "unpredictable" (in a soft sense) because you cannot device an algorithm that will predict a future state of the system based on it's current state and it's dynamics. Like Henri Poincaré's problems predicting future stability of the solar system.

This is where chaos theory takes over - but that is outside my scope (and thank god for that!)

What does this have to do with psychology?

Here's the catch. Any linking between perception and action is flooded with nonlinearities - ask anyone that tries to program robots to do anything simple - and even then, biological nervous systems deals with them quite well. Even the very simple ones, carrying low processing power.

And no, this is not because of some spiritual guidance or mystic property, it is probably because the nervous system is organized in a statistical rather than an algorithmic way. And some instances of statistical processing - e.g. recurrent neural networks - will actually be able to approximate any type of nonlinear function complex (providing it has enough internal capacity etc.)

So there's where I stand - I'll be trying to set up a neural-network predictor that would work in a bi-pedal robot (in this case Aldebaran's "Nao") as sort of an anticipation function that should catch loss of balance even before-the-fact.

I know you haven't seen much of me lately around here (two small kids, a company to run etc.) - but I still see you as my primary home when it comes to discussions of all technical sorts.... This why I need to let you know what I'm up to..

Jakob E.  

Hi Jakob,

Blimey! - Will Gustav be doing boards for this project? ;D ;D ;D

Sounds absolutely fascinating. COngratulations. I do hope it won't mean we won't be seeing you round these parts.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Wow.

Interesting, to say the least. Is nature not completely non-linear? Why don't we just accept it as is? Why do we need to figure it out?

So, here comes the smart robots? ;) Thanks Jakob...  :)

Why not just grow a brain and connect it to input/output devices, like this guy:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041022104658.htm

Congratulations Jacob. Great research subject.

I have been into robotics for almost fifteen years now. If you require help with the hardware please let me know.

wow

that's really cool

and what yer sayin' makes sense to me

statistics  is the study of repeated experience or experiment, no?

we learn by experience

i suspect you will be a breath of fresh air for the team you work with

Great Jakob,
Impressive research topic - please do keep us updated. I am an ecologist professionally (run my own consulting firm). Non-linearities are expected in the natural environment.

Just the other day I was remarking about the different attitudes and (egos) between some music industry friends and associates I have, and ecology industry friends I have. In the natural world we expect to be humbled by our lack of understanding every day.

It keeps you grounded, and keeps egos in check, no matter how experienced you are!!!

Mac

mac said:
In the natural world we expect to be humbled by our lack of understanding every day.

I agree 100 percent Mac. Nature is wonderful, and i'm happy with it just the way it is...as God intended.
Hopefully, we keep working towards better things.

In other words: Jakob is working on a CNC mill which can be directly connected to human brain without having to deal with frontpaneldesigner anymore. Good move. Hopefully your machine is working soon  ;D

good luck on your way

> Any linking between perception and action is flooded with nonlinearities

Nonlinear Psychology.....

ipuq1e.gif

cite: Continued On Next Rock, R. A. Lafferty
Google Books, page 74

Back