Strange EQP1A issue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingston said:
stitch-o said:
experience with burn-in time and PIO caps?
Do they need some 'exercising' before reaching stable sonic performance?

No they don't. God only knows how long the russian caps I generally use have been sitting on the shelf. Manufactured from sixties to late eighties. They sound the same the first time you install them and after active duty. One of the great things about PIO caps really. They last "forever".

Good to know.
I like the gear that is designed to last a long, long time.

Cheers Kingston!

At the risk of dredging up a dead thread:

I DID search before asking, so I will pick up where this thread left off regarding the ussr ‘pio’ capacitors.

I have had trouble with the couple I tried in a ioaudio mic build 5 years ago—they seemed leaky , anode voltage way down , dont remember but a solen worked fine.
I picked up a sprague tel o mike cap tester from 1950s at a swap meet a few weeks back, it is old but seems to work with new and nos caps of all types leakage seems to be fairly accurate and capacitance is right on with labeling— fluke multimeter is a little off printed value.
Question:
While every russi a pio (green and silver bodies) fails capacitance test (bridge or wheatstone bridge i think)on sprague tester, they are within spec on fluke dmm...leakage/insulation test is also a fail on every ussr
Cap tested—at least at first. It seems if i let them sit for some minutes they build up a charge/stop leaking. But capacitance reading is never right.
While I don’t have complete faith in the meter Other types test as they should.

Am I observing the dielectric reforming?
Is this due to the dielectric/construction type?

Anybody have similar experiences?
Seems stich-o has.

Back