Re-modelling "The Lab" (or my lab to be clear...)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Hello folks,

I spent the weekend remodelling the lab. I thought I'd share the work, for discussion/feedback.

Background: I live in Texas. It's hot. really effing hot. When we moved into the house, my wife (gf at the time) made it clear that a soldering iron did not belong in the spare room. So, I was banished to the garage, with my soldering iron, and a small computer desk.
As I started working on more expat audio stuff with Keef, I expanded around the small desk, to the point where I thought i'd go mad. (with 100F+ heat too!).

So, here's the pictures, taken over the course of a day.
Garageremodel+001.jpg

The start. What an effing mess. Extra fans added to cool me down while I worked.

Started clearing up a little... got the floor scrubbed too....
Garageremodel+002.jpg

Then got the table assembled.
Garageremodel+003.jpg

Ikea got the business... replaced the old crappy desk with a nice L table. Standard Ikea table legs for the table closest, and then adjustable legs for the long desk.

Garageremodel+004.jpg

Then got some extra shelving in. Extra storage below the desk on the left gave me space to keep tools etc.
3 fans needed in temperatures of 100F!

Garageremodel+005.jpg

Getting late now. It's been an all day project, but it's coming together... starting to look a bit more like a real workspace.
Garageremodel+006.jpg

Finally, added some extra storage/workspace on the left. I intend to keep this area for shipping expat audio products from.

There you go. all done. for now. Will update with more soon.

/R

Good to have the strategically placed fans!  Just don't desiccate the family jewels.

Do you have ventilation for the space above the garage?  If you can gently fan exhaust that you will be a bit cooler below.
Mike
PS: can't you pipe some house HVAC out there?  Or get a $200 window unit?  Schvitz is conductive, you know. . . . .

HVAC really isn't an option here. It's a brand new house, and I really don't want to go digging through stuff.

We do have AC on the ground floor that connects to the garage... but I have a horrible feeling that the cost of cooling the garage (with the hot cars after work etc) would be astronomical. Also - the garage isn't a scent I think the wife would appreciate floating it's way through the house.

I'm tempted to create a heat exchanger by putting a copper pipe on the front of fan, and pumping cold water through the copper pipe.
Only concern then is a leak.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hollis-homemade-AC

/R

Rochey said:
I'm tempted to create a heat exchanger by putting a copper pipe on the front of fan, and pumping cold water through the copper pipe.
Only concern then is a leak.

Spring a leak, gain a cool shower while you fix it. Sounds pretty win-win to me!  ;D

well.. tried it out. it's cool.
breadboarded up a Constant Current Supply for some LED's. (but that's a discussion for another thread)
Definitely seeing the benefits to a clean and uncluttered workspace!

However, it's still freakin' hot in there! The fans to help with cooling and keeping the schvitz to a minimum.

Back