Harrison 4032 Console - resurrecting the legend

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moamps

Hi guys,

I’m in the middle of a Harrison 4032 Console restoration project that I’m doing for a friend of mine, who wants to use it in his studio once I’m (hopefully) done with it. The Console is in a very bad shape – almost nothing’s working as it should, it’s filthy and I can’t even tell if it’s the A or B type.

However, we are determined to save this piece of history from oblivion (and claim bragging rights ;)) and we need all the help we can get, which is why I’m starting this thread. I’m certainly not a newbie at repairing consoles but this is the first time I’ve ever laid my hands on a Harrison.

I’d like to start with a few questions that I can’t seem to figure out and I can’t find them in the papers. First, the input modules are loaded with 3500 opamps, some of which have green markings while others have yellow markings – as shown in the picture below. I’m wondering if anyone here happens to know what these markings mean (noise selection?). I notice that the “yellow” opamps are found only in the EQ section. Also, is there any consensus of opinion as to which opamps are better – HA 3500 (unobtanium) or HA911 (obtanium)?

harrison_opamps.jpg

Second, the console’s power supply is labeled “Harrison 3232”. Obviously, it was originally made for consoles with 32 input modules but what I would like to find out is whether this same PS was also used with 40-channel Harrison consoles. BTW, the power supply can deliver 10A on the +/-24V rails, which seems just about enough for 40 channels. Each input module draws about 200mA or a total of 8A for all 40 channels, leaving me with 2A for other modules, which should suffice.

harrison_power_supply.jpg

I’ve been in contact with our forum member Frank (screen-name “nrgrecording”), who’s been incredibly helpful, friendly and generous with information. Thank you so much, Frank! However, Frank’s power supply and input modules are not the same as mine and I’d really appreciate if other “Harrisonites” out there would care to chime in.

If there is any interest, later on I can publish any photos and documents gathered during the restoration process.

Regards,
Milan

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. I saw that forum earlier but I thought it was rather small and kinda slow and figured I had better chances to get some help here at home. Besides, I think some of the posters there are active here as well (porkyc, are you reading this?).

Anyway, I am happy to report that we have finally finished cleaning up the console and it looks like I'm making some progress with repairs.

Here are some "before" and "after" photos, in hope they'll draw a bit more attention to this thread.

Regards,
Milan

BEFORE
Harrison_mess.jpg

AFTER
Harrison_legend_lives_on.jpg

very good work Milan

hope you gonna replace all that tantalum caps on modules and old noisy 202... Miro told me that he will put dbx 202xt in there .. THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

anyway /// NICE CONSOLE - SAVED FROM A JUNK!!!

I love harrison pictures!  :D
Hey... the armrest leather is not the original harrison leather! Original leather also has 3 welds at every section.  ::) ;D Hopefully it sounds the same.  :p
(I used black synethic leather myselfs... oh no!)  ;)

The old Harrison Brochure:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/temporary/Harrison%20No%20Compromise.pdf

Whats the purpose of the spare quad master frontpanel?

Frank.

Hi guys!

Thanks for such nice words. :)

The Console is still far from being fully operational. Miro (the studio-owner whom I mentioned earlier) and his assistant did most of the cleaning work on the modules (including switches, faders and connectors). There was also another guy involved (before I arrived to the scene), who did a full recap job on all the modules. Somehow he forgot to replace the tantalum electrolytics on the VCA input (one cap per input module) so that's something I'll have to take care of. The decoupling film caps and ceramic caps for frequency compensation won't be replaced.

Our top priority right now is to get the console back into a working condition because virtually none of the modules were operational when we first plugged in the desk. I had to run complete diagnostics on each individual module to troubleshoot problems, defects, faults and bugs (hence the dedicated notepad on the armrest in the picture below). So far, I have been able to get 32 modules up and running (from a total of 40). I'm planning to mount some socket pins onto the VCA boards of 4 input modules so I can try out different VCA's before we decide if we’re going to replace all 202’s with 202xt.

harrison_channel_check.jpg

The extra quad group faceplate in the picture above is there just to cover the last empty slot. Later on, we'll use this faceplate to replace the existing one on the quad group module (where the lettering has faded). What an eye for detail, Frank!

I hereby deny all responsibility for the choice of color and material for the armrest and the inevitable negative effect this will have on the final sound of the console! The full extent of the damage these amateurs did is truly unforeseeable. Oh, the pain... ;D.

Regards,
Milan

moamps said:
Somehow he forgot to replace the tantalum electrolytics on the VCA input (one cap per input module) so that's something I'll have to take care of.

The tantalum cap on my modules are UNDER the daugtherboard (FET switching card). Maybe thats the reason why they forgot to change the cap.  :p

What happened to one of the two monitor channels?
Either you have the version with studio monitor and control room monitor in one channel... or there are two of the same monitor channels... one for control room, the other one for studio monitor. But I can only see one knob at the far right channel?

Whats with "die münchner philharmoniker" which is laying on the tt-phone-patchbay? Is this for the "burn-in proceduer" for the new caps?  :D

I see an audio player on the patchbay... be careful... i killed the headphone output on my iphone 2 weeks ago because -17V was connected to the headphone output because I had a shortet ribbon cable on the soundcraft 2400 iam restoring at the moment.  :-\ However... that was a reason to buy the new iphone.  ;) With the iphone antenna-problem.  :eek:

By the way... whats the purpose of the switches under the patchbay? Phantom switching for the first channels?

Frank.

awesome work Milan !!!!!

I know pain you going thru ... even worst one  ;D
4823754436_1f853645c0_b.jpg

all caps and tatals replaced .. cca 3500
all pushswitches replaced cca 55 per module ....40 modules so count
all ic sockets replaced
psu units x3 all pgraded and recaped
all faders opened and cleaned.. and cleaned every single part of console

baby works flowless now...

now I do mods and some final tests!!!

As far as I know, the one that I'm trying to raise from the dead is currently the only Harrison in Croatia. I think what roginator posted here is his refurbished MCI.

Later,
Milan

yes Miro have only harrison in CROATIA AS FAR AS I KNOW....

mine is MCI 500D modules in B frame fully trafo loaded frame!!!!!

Guys, I really appreciate all the support you've shown.

Frank, the Console has separate studio and CRM modules. The previous owner(s) apparently had no use for the studio module so they replaced it with a blank panel that incorporated a 4-channel ALPS potentiometer, which they used for CRM monitor control, as can be seen in the picture below.

harrison_monitor_pot.jpg

The pot is obviously audiophile grade, it’s detented and über-cool looking. We have decided to move it to the panel on the right of the module, where the tape remote controls used to be. Now we have to decide if we’re going to implement CRM regulation via this ALPS pot or a P&G stereo fader pot. Then I’ll design a speaker selector for 3 amplifier-speaker systems and build it in above the potentiometer.

The panel on the right of the monitor module (and below the patch bays) was used by the previous owners for tapes remotes, speaker selector and phantom switch (all on-off), as in the picture below.

harrison_remotes.jpg

This panel will be replaced with a new one that'll include the CRM level and speaker selector mentioned above, a few other controls, a small pen-box, etc.  

Die Münchner Philharmoniker?  Yeah, I was baffled by that one as well, all the more because I know the guys in the studio are hip-hop/rap fans :eek:   :). That's why I brought my own music on iRiver. Now they have no choice but to suffer all that jazz in silence (and some Red Hot Chili Peppers for headroom testing) until I'm done. ;D

Regards,
Milan

Back