Preferences/opinions on heat shrink tubing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lassoharp

Getting ready to order some 1/16" heat shrink tubing and thought I'd check some user opinions first.

What I'm trying to decide on is 3M FP-301 2:1 polyolefin  vs  Voltrex and other General Purpose equivalent spec types.

The 3M is nearly double the cost per ft so the question is how much this difference reflects quality vs brand marketing.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?  Who's using what?

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=1002695+5220542+5220545&isRedirect=true&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_US&catalogId=&prevNValues=1002695&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&originalQueryURL=/jsp/search/browse.jsp%3FN%3D1002695%26isRedirect%3Dtrue%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_US%26catalogId%3D%26prevNValues%3D1002695

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/2to1polyolefin.htm#B

we recently picked up some 3m heat shrink for work. The reason was that was all pacific radio, our local connector and cable store, had available.  prior to that we were using Manhattan/cdt shrink as again that is what they were selling at that time. To be honest I have not really noticed any difference in the 2 brands.

I shop thickness. I hate thick wall tubing with dia.'s under half inch.  It depends on the specific use- every shrink need is different.  Sometimes shrink loses to sleeves, especially with vintage work.
Make the decision based on what is best for the job.
Mike

Looks like the 3M has a thicker post shrink wall than the others so maybe the price is based on total amount of material you're getting per ID size.

The adhesive lined versions sound good but too expensive. 

This place has some of the better prices I've found.

http://www.justradios.com/heatshrinktubing.html

resistor and cap leads mainly.  Got some delicate transformer leads that need repairing as well.

Component leads get PTFE tubing in the non-PCB circuit work I experience.  I have it in all basic colors for doing console mods and other custom wiring.  Natural for drain wires when doing multipair work.
Again, the insulator needed depends on the specific application.  For the tranny wires shrink is good.
Mike

Along these same lines, is PTFE tubing what you would get for point-to-point mic building? I would assume it's heat resistant? Sodderboy do you have a link for what you use?

I'd be interested in seeing that product too.  I've been using a big stash of saved bits I removed from gear over the years - the old black shiny type.  Can't seem to find that stuff anywhere these days.  I've had a lot of clear neoprene looking pieces that were common on later 60's and early 70's gear.  Neoprene/medical tubing is very expensive today.

The PVC jackets on hookup wire works well though it's quick to melt near the iron tip. I've got drawers full of saved bits of that too.

Latest posts

Back