S-S-L Channel Comps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Is anyone else working on these?

If not, I'd also like to rack regular G-SSL's into a rack, perhaps in banks of 8.  Is it possible to just leave out one side components to get a mono version?  I'm unclear as to what I should leave out, and what should stay...

Thanks!
Sig

There was a crazy 24 channel or so GSSL by IIRC regularjohn (is that his name, or is it regularjohn recording or something?) anyway... do a search, it's here somewhere.

If I had to guess, you'd just leave out one channel, either L or R.  So, one 5534 and related stuff from the input, it's companion 5532 and related components from the output, and the VCA parts for that channel.  but I don't know for sure as I haven't tried it.

tmuikku said:
These? http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37862.0

Yes, I have done the design work and the first run of proto boards are ready to be ordered.

I've stalled a bit on this for lack of funds and getting work done in the studio.

I doubt if this will be a money making endeavor for me as it's time consuming and involves a lot of resources after the fact. I'd be willing to make it a community project if there are some willing participants to help get it moving and completed.

If anyone is willing to donate a small amount to help with the testing and to get the prototypes done in exchange for some first run boards and offering it to the community I'd be more than willing to get this moving asap.

Mark

you can definately do it with the gssl's.  If you want to make them mono, just populate only one of the channels.
I built a 22 channel gssl last year for a studio in scotland:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35585.0

Siegfried Meier said:
If not, I'd also like to rack regular G-SSL's into a rack, perhaps in banks of 8.  Is it possible to just leave out one side components to get a mono version?  I'm unclear as to what I should leave out, and what should stay...

Which components you must leave out is pretty obvious. Have a look at the schematic of the GSSL and you'll see it .

But you say "Channel comps".....
The normal channel dynamics of the SSL consoles is not the same as the busscompressor.

Biasrocks !
What kind of funding are you thinking about ? I'd like to build a few of these channeldynamics, as I told you before. Maybe I could send you some caps/resistors of certain values.

helterbelter said:
Biasrocks !
What kind of funding are you thinking about ? I'd like to build a few of these channeldynamics, as I told you before. Maybe I could send you some caps/resistors of certain values.

Anything helps, I'm thinking about $150 to get the first prototype built. There's a couple of specific parts that I'll need, namely the rms detectors (AD536J). I've already found a few of the germanium diodes so I'm good there. Everything else I think I pretty much have here aside from perhaps pots.

It would be cool to pass this over to someone with PCB layout experience in Eagle to verify my layout before I send it away.

Also, If anyone knows of a good prototyping pcb place for a fairly straight forward double sided board that would be awesome.

Mark

Biasrocks said:
Also, If anyone knows of a good prototyping pcb place for a fairly straight forward double sided board that would be awesome.

I'm not associated with them in any way, but I highly recommend Advanced Circuits in Colorado.  www.4pcb.com

$33 Each Special (4 boards minimum), 5 day lead time
Parameters for that special are:
1oz copper, single or double sided copper, single or double sided silk, single or double mask, 60sq inches max board size, all holes plated thu, no routing, no scoring

So it's $132 total for 4 boards.  That's the best special for protos I know of and use it all the time for like 10 years now.  And their quality is top notch.  Hope that helps.

SSL channel compressor is different than GSSL :)
It has it own specific sound known from many albums, great comp for kick/snare.
AD736 etc IIRC will work here as well.
It would be cool to pass this over to someone with PCB layout experience in Eagle to verify my layout before I send it away.
I have some experience with Eagle. Feel free to ask/pm.

Biasrocks said:
If anyone is willing to donate a small amount to help with the testing and to get the prototypes done in exchange for some first run boards and offering it to the community I'd be more than willing to get this moving asap.

PM me. I'll donate

Biasrocks said:
helterbelter said:
Biasrocks !

Anything helps, I'm thinking about $150 to get the first prototype built. There's a couple of specific parts that I'll need, namely the rms detectors (AD536J). I've already found a few of the germanium diodes so I'm good there. Everything else I think I pretty much have here aside from perhaps pots.

Mark

I sent you a PM ;-)

- Frederik

Igor said:
SSL channel compressor is different than GSSL :)
It has it own specific sound known from many albums, great comp for kick/snare.
AD736 etc IIRC will work here as well.
I have some experience with Eagle. Feel free to ask/pm.

Oh, I know very well that they're entirely different things, but I really don't care.  The channel comps that were underway just didn't seem to be moving, which is why I asked about doing mono versions of the GSSL.  Either one will work for me, it doesn't have to be super authentic!

Sig

Okay cool, let's get this moving.

I'll get the design/layout reviewed and get some prototypes made.

Siegfried Meier said:
The channel comps that were underway just didn't seem to be moving, which is why I asked about doing mono versions of the GSSL.
Sig

There's nothing stopping you from stuffing half of a GSSL board to make a mono compressor.

The PCB's are small, cheap and readily available.

My offering will be a copy of the channel dynamics section.

Mark

Back