Peerless S-217-D repro by Magnequest

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edanderson

i know sowter makes a replacement for the S-217-D (the original pultec output transformer). but i thought since Magnequest has the original Peerless info, they might also make one. i posted over on the magnequest forum, and here was the response from Michael Lefevre:

Hi Ed:

We have built the S-217-D's twice in the past ten years. One run was for A&M recording studios who bought a bunch and we did on other run for a small builder of studio equipment in Ohio who was building compressors... the builder in Ohio sold one of his compressors to Billy Joel I remember him telling me...

However... even over the last ten years we have lost some of the suppliers for the necessary parts that go into building the 217's.... the laminations, as just one example, were of the "L" type... and the company who did make them went out of biz...

the 217 was also housed in a mu metal can (at least one... maybe two nested cans.... I'd have to pull the blueprint to see).... and these are terribly expensive to procure these days and require huge minimum buys....

what happens.... is that to build some of these specialty items we might be looking at anywhere from 5 to 10 thousand bucks just to get the materials (due to min order amounts)...

and I just don't see enough biz out there to make this a less than risky venture....

I agree... the design is a superlative design... but.... I don't know when it will be possible for us to come on line with these....

just as a point of reference... when we built these for A&M studios some ten or so years ago the price in qauntities of fifty was close to $300 each....

let me mull this over and thanks for posting and letting me know that someone out there may have an interest in this part number.

Mikey

so, that's probably cheaper than what i've seen most of them go for on eBay, but still a bit much, esp. considering the price of the sowter version. good to know it is still at least theoretically possible for MQ to make them.

ed

Thanks Ed!
Did you hint at possibly getting some blueprint information, I mean , if they do not want to build it, would they have a problem telling us how to build one?
cj

Somebody wake me up.
This forum, I mean, I must be dreaming!
I can't believe how fast stuff is getting resolved.
Projects that may have taken years to gather info on, if you can find it at all,... here, its a matter of minutes, not days or weeks!

The information age.
At first, that name was a turnoff. I thought we were all gonna turn into pencil neck geeks, but it ain't like that.

John, don't worry about the delay factor.
I haven't even Seen a 217.
I haven't even seen one on evilbay.
My friend Andy hasn't even seen one, and he has everything.

So believe me when I say No Hurry!
Because, I have absolutly no other leads on the 217 case.
Until Now!

cj

:guinness:

OT: I just realized John Diamantis is missing.
Anybody have his email?
thanks.

cj-

i didn't ask about getting any info, as mr. MQ seemed to be saying that it was startup parts cost that was prohibitive, and otherwise he would be making them. not sure how true that is. if you'd like to contact him for the info and make your case, you can find him on the magnequest.com forum.

also, one tidbit i managed to glean while perusing the forum...

http://www.hudsontool.com/

... is the company that makes the mu metal cans for jensen transformers. at least according to someone on the MQ forum. so if you're trying to source cans for a transformer, they might be a place to start.

ed

[quote author="Winston O'Boogie"]
The pic links: http://members.aol.com/revorecording/LargeMUcanwith31267
and:
http://members.aol.com/revorecording/LargeMUcan[/quote]
They would be a lot easier to view if you added .jpg to the file names...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

S217D data!
Sorry group it has taken me a couple of days to get this together.
I got this from the old group.
2 pics from e bay
1 nice DCR and turns info from someone on this group in Europe.
Sorry forgot the name, you do deserve the credit.

I took the jpg and the other drawing
added them together. Tried to get it to look OK.
I did not succed had to move on.
Made it a 346Kb PDF
Enjoy the one file.
I looks like the data was measured on a modern day replacement transformer.
http://www.mastertraxstudio.com/the_lab/xformers/S217d.pdf

I have been notified that the pdf above may have some errors.
For alternate info, go to the Magnequest forum.
That's all I am saying.
You want it that bad, you gotta dig, as I do not think Mike wants the whole world to know.
Please don't link to it here..use PM's. That's kind of a private forum over there for Mike and his customers.
Thanks Mike!
:cool:

That was very interesting. Thanks, CJ. It's good to see the knowledge preserved.

:guinness: :sam:

Latest posts

Back