logic question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

running Logic on my work laptop. Is there anyway to make it edit in a similar manor that pro tools edits? I just started getting into it and find that when I edit a track, it opens up that pesky  track view window or whatever logic calls it. Is there anyway to edit from the arrange window?

Audio track ?
Double click opens the sample edit window ( Logic 9 ) by default at the bottom.
But you can use the zoom function and edit in the arrange window down to sample accurate level
You can also set that as a function key "window" to get back to that zoom anywhere in the arrangement.

MM

yes  it would be on an audio track. I am trying to avoid that sample edit window too confusing at the moment as I just started getting into it... I like it so far.

good luck!  there IS no way to make logic work like PT. I come from a heavy PT background and can whip an entire song's worth of tracks into shape in hours (thousands of cuts, moves, fades).  with logic, its almost as easy to just transfer all the audio files into a PT session, edit and transfer back.  It evens out to be about the same time as it would take to edit it all in logic. 

NOW, I'm newish to logic so there might be some tricks I don't know of, so in that case.... let us know!

Of course, ANY piece of software that you know how to use backwards, is going to
be faster than the new one that you're trying out  ::)

Manuals don't often tell you the neat "tricks 'n tips" that you will need to use.

Audio tracks can be cut into 8ths ( for eg ) with one cut and you can quantize audio
from the event list on the right side in a matter of seconds.
Not perfect but if your track needs to be tighter and was pretty close anyway, it's quick
as heck as there is no processing, just quantizing region start points from transients.

The "nudge" tools in PT are cool but you can set up similar goodies in Logic.

For anyone wanting to go deeper, the macprovideo Logic tips and great, if you can stand
Steve H's voice ( Brains from Thunderbirds anyone ?? )

MM

Editing in Logic is not going to work like in PT (or any other DAW) but once you get used to it it's very fluid. One first thing to do is make your own short cuts for "split region by locators/playhead", which you can reach with left hand.

Other thing that makes life easier is to learn how use Logic's "take folders" for comping.

well at work we are all PT for the daw side.  I have been a PT user from back in the 1990's so I am so used to that.  However work is getting into logic as well these days. I have it on my work laptop. So far I am using along side the mixer in my bands rehearsal spot. It has a firewire port on it and I can use it as a logic interface and record all 16 mics at once if necessary. It's pretty sweet. Just use an external Hard drive and go. I also like the fact that if I don't have an interface I can use the mac soudcard and do edits and stuff on the fly with out any major external hardware other then the drive and headphones.

Learning curve is worth it.

Flex function in Logic 9 is very nice. Quantizing audio files now go very quickly. Want to try Digital Performer, but don't know is that worth to exchange L9..?

Latest posts

Back