[BUILD] DBX 160VU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, thanks for the interest all! Really cool.
Statzern - the preorder is still open and will be till next week.
Tzane, Sig and Pablobolche confirming payment.
Thanks!
Abe

ps a quick n dirty video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKw_YqWNGvM

Hi Neil,
Glad you liked the video! I did have a second part with the music but you-tube blocked it because it was a copyrighted song I was using (duh! I should have remembered that when I made the video) Anyway I'll hopefully make another video showing the compressor on some drums or bass, because that's what it seems to be known for. ps I've been using it on vocals with some nice results.
Also confirm your payment.
Thanks!
Abe

Hi Abe,
I was wondering if there is going to be another run of these boards later on in the year.  I'm a little short on cash for DIY at the moment, but if this is going to be the last run, i'll try to scrape some money up for a pair.  Thanks for printing these up regardless, and taking on such a cool project.
Rob Mc.

Hi Rob,
Yes there should be some available later on. I'm scrapping together all the cash I can to buy some extra for anyone interested in getting the PCBs but for whatever reason can't take part in this pre order.
Thanks for your interest.
Abe

I know it is a bit late to toss this out, but what about some pads for optional balanced line receiver & transmitter chips to use instead of the stock approach? This would save a ton of components / work on the (unbalanced ground compensated) output circuit. I have used Analog Devices on a 161 to convert it to a 160, couldn't tell any difference in sound...  ::)

HAha! Great Idea. Though I think for this revision the best option would be to let people build on the balanced/drivers on a protoboard and then wire it in, if they choose.. Something good to keep in mind for the next revision though...
I personally really really like the transistor output stage. Its is high voltage and high current! I'm sure a chip would work fine, but this output stage has some muscles :)

AC

Sounds handy! - my vote would be the THAT chips. They work great and are already used for quite a few current DIY projects - Pico Compressor (now commerical...), Wayne Kirkwood's MS boards & new Bruno2000's new SSL style 500 series mic pres etc etc.

THAT1624 balanced line receiver
THAT1646 balanced line driver

Check the here for how to implement them:

http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=262

I think perhaps they are pin-pin compatible with other balanced i/o chips too?

Haima

Back