500 series voltage/GO 51X!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyscotch

Would one of you guys in the know who is also a member of Gearslutz, please go sort these guys out........

I'm trying to generate some buzz about the 51X format, but it would be better coming from someone who actually knew what they were talking about, LOL.

Some "vendors" are trying to defend the "regular" 500 series PSU, but I think the 51X PSU is superior. Please correct me if I'm wrong

There a couple threads with discussions going on about 500 series voltage requirements/limitations.

Here is one, regarding the new Elyssia 500 compressor:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/f9/elysia-releases-xpressor-500-a-513785-5.html#post5644787

And another:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/f32/500-series-limitations-voltage-size-layout-470504-2.html#post5644818

Hi Johnny,

there is nothing wrong with +/- 16V in the original API500 specs.
and it is doable to do 24V modules with it (DC/DC converters).

the reason we have the +/- 24V in the GDIY 51X format is DIY  ;D
DC/DC converters are not totally easy (if you want them right),
it is much more easier just taking the +24V directly for Neve / Neumann / Telefunken "clones",
and for sure +/- 24V plus the +/- 16V allows more current draw for each module  ;D

as far as I know the main problem / concern / bashing comes from some API500 PSUs not giving the specified current for each module.
and 130mA @ 16V wont result in 130mA @ 24V using a DC/DC converter ...

Thanks SA

it's making more sense, I just got pummeled over at GS for not knowing my sh!t. :-\

It builds character  ;D

I read that thread from the beginning over last weekend...before it got out of hand. It was very entertaining then to say the least. You have to take it with grain of salt. It is just as much entertainment as informative.

Cheers, Jeff  :)

Latest posts

Back