Another Poor Man 670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopermc5

Hi all finished my poor man. Sounds great from the first start up I was a little scared from the hundreds of pages of reading (twice !) But I think I got lucky. I just put pots in their for now to gauge what I want to do about switches (plus im broke) so it will be awhile ill clean up my wiring then also. Thanks to Analag-Silent arts-Veermaster-Emrr.

The only issue I have is this dam edcor power tranny has a super bad mechanical buzz and it's brand new! Here are some bad phone pics
photo-9.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo5-3.jpg

Good looking (non-Fairchild copy) panel.  Working fine with both side chain tubes too.  Additional filament transformer?  Still making DC for filaments?

emrr said:
Good looking (non-Fairchild copy) panel.  Working fine with both side chain tubes too.  Additional filament transformer?  Still making DC for filaments?

Thanks tried to keep it sleek looking.Yes I fully expected to have problems but none really (so far). I tried a set of rca's and a set of sylvania both the same.I also isolated the link like you suggested.

Yes still dc i went 100% stock at first just for troubleshooting and respect for the designer.I am going to try it ac just because.I am also not having any heat problems with the power tranny maybe because I used a separate filament power.Anyways sounds real good I still need to play with the meters some.

after all the reading I have done, I am still confused on the "one tube in the sidechain" thing. do I just take one of the tubes out? is there an "idiots" answer?

Hey Looper.
Whats up with the Nail?
How you use that thing? i saw a youtube guy trying to demo it but i couldnt hear any thing...

Thnaks

3nity said:
Hey Looper.
Whats up with the Nail?
How you use that thing? i saw a youtube guy trying to demo it but i couldnt hear any thing...

Thnaks
Ah the nail It's pretty amazing if you want transparent compression you can knock em down a lot and not really hear any artifacts. I wanted to try it in my mastering chain and I like it a lot. Not much to look at inside though  :-[ Try A-designs site i think they have good video

Knarleybass said:
after all the reading I have done, I am still confused on the "one tube in the sidechain" thing. do I just take one of the tubes out? is there an "idiots" answer?

If your having problems with distortion etc (i think) pull one see if it helps I know of at least 2 people running like that without issue as far as i know.

loopermc5 said:
Yes still dc i went 100% stock at first

I thought the stock version had time constant...not attack release?

Nice front panel layout!  Mine will look kind of the same with two big square meters left & knobs right....different meters and knobs but still.

radiance said:
loopermc5 said:
Yes still dc i went 100% stock at first

I thought the stock version had time constant...not attack release?

Nice front panel layout!  Mine will look kind of the same with two big square meters left & knobs right....different meters and knobs but still.
You are correct.  ;) when it was first hooked it up it was stock it has since had the release added and c4 changed.

Back