Class; required reading - James Langham

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Lassoharp reminded me of this fine antique text, which I now require all of you to read.  I'm sure it's been posted here before.  Fits the layman, and reminds the not-so-layman.  Reads like PRR in many ways, but is a bit funnier, with less numbers.  How does that grab you?  Of course it's of the tube era, but has a billion lessons pertinent today.  It's a fast easy read.  Dates as 1950, but I think this appeared as a series of magazine articles several years earlier. 

"High-Fidelity Techniques" by James Langham

Thanks for posting that emrr.  Langham appears to have been a true DIYer with great curiosity and a willingness to get to the bottom of things in a very common sense and entertaining manner.  Great reading!

I heard that Ethan has agreed that, in the future, no one will be allowed to build any kits here without having passed a test on this book. 

I've made it through chapter 2.  Great... I've never built a speaker cabinet right.  Passed out somewhere in the midst of chapter 3.  Must start over.

thanks emrr, great read,

I can imagine him on this forum, he comes across very well as a down to earth chap...

Pete

Reads like PRR in many ways, but is a bit funnier, with less numbers.  How does that grab you?

thats classic Doug!!  ;D  and might I say a great endorsement!!

excellent....nothing on TV tonight anyway....never is anything......

Mac

Funny coincidence. I visited one of my knowledgeable audio pals the other day (a well respected bloke in the hi-fi and Ampex worlds) and as I was in the midst of a sea of questions for him regarding a stereo tube amp that I'm troubleshooting he hands me this very book to borrow.

So I may pass the class yet! (although it might take me until next semester...)

And I've just read the table of content....

Yes!!!! Just what I need.

Thanks so much for posting...

I'll be first in the class and last to leave...  ;D

JD

Latest posts

Back