Focusrite Liquid Pre transformer loading

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickjam

I picked up a Focusrite Saffire 56 which comes with two "Liquid" preamp channels.

Only one of my mics--an AT4050/CM5--when plugged into either of the Liquid channels generates a low frequency "heartbeat" signal peaking around -18dB until I disable the "transformer loading" feature on that channel.  It literally sounds--and the waveform looks--like an electrocardiogram plot!  For a minute I thought by looking at the VU that it was picking up my hearbeat; but the gain was all the way down.

I understand the transformer loading is intended to simulate mic-to-pre interaction of classic preamps.  I haven't worked with many iron-based units yet--that is until I actually have time to complete some of these projects still in pieces on the workbench.  ::)  

I'm just curious what's going on here electrically.  I'm sure CJ would have his finger on the pulse* of the explanation for this.  (*pun intended  ;D)

-Bob

kml23956 said:
Besides the loading issue, what do you think about the Focusrite 56?  Have you recorded anything of use yet or are you still just testing it out?

My first impressions are very good.  The DAC side is very nice.  Smooth and precise--an order of magnitude beyond the old Mackie hardware I was using.  Recording-wise, I like the sound on my own voiceovers--the Class-A 2A (Neve 1073) model suits it quite well.  The trial by fire is yet to come.  I am recording an amazing singer this evening--a theatrical/operatic soprano. 

Thank you for the information. I would be very interested to hear how that turns out.  I need a new interface and I have been serious thinking about this one after reviewing the specs.  Will you be using it in 96k/24bit mode?

kml23956 said:
Thank you for the information. I would be very interested to hear how that turns out.  I need a new interface and I have been serious thinking about this one after reviewing the specs.  Will you be using it in 96k/24bit mode?

Probably not.  It's for a website demo to be tracked over an existing session produced by the arranger that she's bringing with her.  I haven't heard it yet; my guess it's 44.1 - Well, I hope it's at least that.  ::)

Back