What's the best use of a G-Pultec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letterbeacon

When talking about Pultec EQs, most people go on about how good they sound on drums.  I don't record drums on my home set up and probably use outboard kit on vocals mostly - what does the G-Pultec sound like on vocals?  Is it worth building the G-Pultec if I'd only use it on guitar and vocals?

Does anyone have any audio samples of the G-Pultec in action?  Has anyone compared it to a real Pultec?

Thanks a lot!

since i've never built the g-pultec this reply might be a bit OT.

but i do use the uad pultec sometimes and i love it for anything bass related, buss duties and of course the occasional vocal. You might wanna check out the demo's on their site since it's similar to the g-pultec.

greetings,

Thomas

A cool trick that I do a lot with vocals is HPF wherever sounds best the go a little more so it's a bit thin, then add back 60 or so with the pultec till it sounds full but not overpowering the mix.

Also Bass, Kick, 2-Bus,... Everything?

definitely use the g-pultec on vocals. also horns, bass, gtr, drums, 2-bus, strings, room mics, in fact I cant currently think of anything I haven't used it on including melodica.  I've got a pair and I think they are killer.

M

They don't sound the same, but then again one pultec doesn't sound the same as the next one these days. They all sound great, they all sound different, that's the best part. Even 2 gpultecs will sound different, everything effects the sound, the tube, the caps, the transformers, it's all about finding the flavor that each one has, where they sound best and where other ones sound better.

by far THE badass eq for big hiphop kick drums. can't live without it.

a lot of times, my colleague uses it just on bypass when recording vocals. iron+tube combo just works I guess. :)

The more I read about the Pultec, the more I want one!  I think I'm going to go for the point to point version rather than the Gyraf one.

It would be great to hear some examples - do you have any tracks I can hear with it on?

letterbeacon said:
The more I read about the Pultec, the more I want one!  I think I'm going to go for the point to point version rather than the Gyraf one.

It would be great to hear some examples - do you have any tracks I can hear with it on?

Yeah, I think if you gonna go all out then go for point to point...

I've built 1 G-Pultec and it is serious bad ass!!! I use it on everything... I soon as I built it I knew I needed more....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've got 3 more PCBs waiting to be built...

The G-Pultec is a cheap build. I used some good poly capacitors but ended up using Tyco inductors (the weakest component in my opinion). So my advice is to build it with good component, especially the inductor and iron.

I plan to build 2 pultecs point-to-point as my heavy artillery and use my 4 G-Pultecs as light fire....

Seriously, every studio needs a "Putec type" eq and it will work wonders on your vocals and guitars especially Ac gtr...

PS. I could make some samples for you if you want... I got a track where I ran every channel through my G-Pultec. I can do a before and after mix if you wanna hear the Pultec in action. It's take me a couple of days though...

J

It would be great to hear the Pultecs in action!  I had a listen on the UAD website to the plugins but it's quite hard to tell via a YouTube video!

I'd be interested to follow your point to point build.  I've had a quick look through the parts list and it looks like the hardest bit to get in the UK is the Cinemag inductor.  Let me know if you find a UK supplier.

Speaking of pultecs. Does anyone know what sort of Pultec these were and any info on them, like docs, schematics, feedback, history?

ebay-1.jpg

Thanks.

letterbeacon said:
It would be great to hear the Pultecs in action!  I had a listen on the UAD website to the plugins but it's quite hard to tell via a YouTube video!

I'd be interested to follow your point to point build.  I've had a quick look through the parts list and it looks like the hardest bit to get in the UK is the Cinemag inductor.  Let me know if you find a UK supplier.

Sowter, make all the replacement transformers and inductors for the Pultec and the G-Pultec. They're good, but quite expensive.

Hey, as you're in London, if you want I can bring my G-Pultec over for you to try out, PM me if you want.

J

Do Sowter make the high frequency Cinemag inductor as well?  I couldn't see it on their website.

Thanks for the offer of a real life demo - expect a PM shortly!

letterbeacon said:
Do Sowter make the high frequency Cinemag inductor as well?  I couldn't see it on their website.

http://www.sowter.co.uk/eqinductors.php

The original one, as well as the gyraf version.

Sowter transfo's have always stunned me, I'm curious to hear the inductors.
Great company, good support, but get your order in time 'cause it takes them over a month to deliver these days.
Unless they have it in stock...

Latest posts

Back