Pots fastened into holes that are just too big. How?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

Hi guys,

I have some panel holes around 10-11mm and need to install pots with the holding shaft size of 8mm. I want them securely fastened and in the center with some kind of "adapter" to make up for the smaller size. I've done this in the past many times but I'd rather not use chewing gum this time.

Please help with your preferred fix.

Mike

roll some teflon tape on the tapping wire untill it's the right size and then fix it?
What i ''always'' do is just mount it and set it in the centre by hand and then tighten it with a extra ring.

Around 10-11mm may lack precision...

If it's 10mm, just buy some 10mm aluminium or brass tube at your local hardware store, and cut yourself some washer of it. Those tube are usually 1mm thick. 10 less 2 X 1mm = 8.

If it's 10.something... Say 10.6... 10.6 less 8 = 2.6. Find a piece of 1.3mm thick copper wire, and wrap it around your 8mm shaft. Cut to match the thickness of the panel.

Axel

10mm aluminum tube, check!

several fitting thicknesses of copperwire, check also!

Both suit my needs perfectly, and no need to worry about chewing gum/tape etc. easily breaking plastics either.

A "why didn't I think of this before" type situtation. Thanks for spelling it out for me mad.ax.

Shoulder washer!

I had the concept in my head but couldn't find the exact term for that. Thanks Keith for improving my English!  ;D

The thing is that shoulder washers are not the easiest 'off the shelf' parts to find... Unless you have access to a lathe, in which case it's a simple operation to cut one.

But I guess Mike doesn't own a lathe, or he wouldn't have asked...

Axel

Attachments

• ShoulderWasher.gif
    ShoulderWasher.gif
    832 bytes · Views: 76
Yes, a shoulder washer would probably be the professional option here, but just not available to me.

I'll have to stick to washing my shoulders with these instead.
p4.jpg

Back