Should you be able to see the diaphragm of a Sennheiser 421 from the outside?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rascalseven

Just curious.  I can get an older 421 (black, but with the metal end instead of the the newer plastic type) dirt cheap from a guy I know of.  The mic works (just plugged it in when I was over there, but haven't really had a chance to listen in a good environment), and the body is in near flawless condition. BUT... when I look at the mic from the front, I can pretty clearly see the capsule inside, and on profile I can see the profile of the capsule as well.  Shouldn't there be a thin layer of foam inside the basket to would stop this visibility?

I don't have any 421's (I used to have 5, and I don't remember being able to see so clearly inside them).  The guy can't tell me anything about the mic's history, so I don't know if it's been hacked into or not.

Thoughts???

Thanks!

There is a second layer of fine metal mesh inside the grille, seems that someone opened the mic and removed it...

Normally you could just bearly see the capsule when you look at the grille with a bright lamp behind it.

If the mic works and is cheap, get it! Shouldn´t change the sound that much it´s just prone to
get dirt inside. You could always add the fine mesh or thin foam later.

Hope this helps,

Anders

Back