Beyerdynamic M260 info & thoughts needed please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

I have an old blue straight shaft M260 and I love for vocals....Im scared of using it on stage incase it gets hurt so i would like to buy a new one.....I understand the only new one I can buy is the m260.80 with built in  filter via the transformer I read it doesnt sound as good......

I am currently planning to make a stage mic using a shure Sh55 shell for its looks but im fussy about the sound....please see the link to the thread of my plan at end of this post...

Im thinking of maybe buying the ribbon motor from beyer and fitting it into my shure SH55 shell.....I would need a transformer...anyone no a good one fo this job ?...have more room in the shure shell is good I hope....I have a T bone RB500 transformer and a couple of reslos and an interesting grampian which is selling for lots of money on Ebay ....I bet these wouldnt be as good as the original tho ? so anyone have the answer

Check out my thread ....as youl see I may end up with a condenser in the shell but would still be interested  in the M260 mic as i think il buy a new capsule motor or even a new 260.80 for spares for my little blue one...

thanks for reading...

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40546.0

You won't be able to fit an M260 motor due to the venting which extends down the body from the rear of the motor.

I'd buy an M260.80 ; You'd probably want to roll off some of the bottom anyway due to the big proximity effect. Also, they don't sound thin at all like you might think. I've had both.

Hi Roda yeah might buy one ,,,so you have the latest version then ...cool ....its phisically a small mic is it ? lots of site selling them have conflicting details and pictures & dont usually have them actually in stock..

The guy at beyer isnt even sure if the part he quoted me was the complete mic guts inc transformer for about 100 quid ....

i think the motor should be ok i the shure shell ....do you know the mic shell I mean The Elvis mic.....

thanks for your thoughts....

Does anyone know how to disassemble the connector on a M260N?

The wires are loose and I cant find a way to solder them back, cant get at the connector from inside.

Another strange thing: There are three thin green wires coming out of the transformer
measuring 28 ohm between two of the wires and 14 ohm in another combination. (center tap?)

According to the data sheet I have, the transformer doesn´t have a center tap.

Anyone an idea?

It´s the model with a switch.

Thanks,

Anders

(sorry for hijacking)

Think price for the ribbon motor asembly was 106 pounds.....he seemed to be reading the info and a little vague & said it MAY even include the transformer.....that would be nice...

Sredna during the conversation he found info on a M260 with eq switch/switches....maybe your mic or transformer sounds interesting...

Me I sooo dont no what to do would like to try the roll off version also would like to hear a new ribbon in my old mic...as |say I love its sound anyway wich is good but beyer man reckons my ribbon will be tired so new one MIGHT sound better still ..

Gary, my advice is, don't buy a new motor. I've worked ona  lot of ribbon mics, and the Beyer models are fidgety, and in general a bit of a dick to work with. I'd either get yours repaired (ask them to re-use the original transformer), or buy an M260.80. Or get a second-hand model.

Sredna, the transformer offers a 50-Ohm tap too (there's a 50-Ohm model). Try not to use a multimeter to look there as the ribbon won't like the initial AC transient of the meter.

To late!  :-[  ;D

The ribbon is still there but thanks for the hint!

Any ideas how to access the connector?

It´s a DIN connector and the housing is the more modern bigger black one.

The small screw is removed but the connector is impossible to move (rotate etc.)

Otherwise, Ill have to take a course in bottle ship building...  ;D

Using they Beyerdynamic ribbons on stage is not a problem if there's no feedback!
Loud feedback likely will stretch or destroy the ribbon.
And a mis-wired cable with phantom power on it also can smoke the ribbon as can someone blowing into it.
I've seen many of these mics used on stage, for vocals and instruments.
I have an M260n (C) which I use on unpleasant female voices.
It tames a lot of the screechyness but it's only been used in-studio.

Back