Dbx Vca Construction

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damnyankee said:
That's what I have to learn, John: how to calculate capacitance.  I know the general rule of thumb is to double voltage values over the voltage of the power rails (e.g., if power rail is 9v, the filter cap should be minimally 18V or the selected cap in this case would have a 20V value).  But the mystery is, I don't know how to calculate what capacitance value would be acceptable.  Take our 20V electrolytic example: uF values can run from 33uF to 15,000uF.  I have to keep reading so I can figure this out.

Samuel Groner came up with a nifty spreadsheet that calculates capacitor values for linear power-supply applications. Search for it.

-a

Thanks, Andy - that is nifty!

I'm looking at this dbx 160VU schematic's power supply.  I see the trafo & rectifier bridge.  I note the power at the filter caps is +/- 24V but the schemo calls for 25v 470uF.  Actual build is 35V 470uF.  Question: should those filter caps be double the voltage to accommodate spikes (50v caps)? 

Back