3u sontec showing off

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagoose

I made some progress with my 3u stepped sontec and before i go on holiday i wanted to post some pics of this beast.

All pots are stepped switches so i soldered over 700 point2point resistors.  8)
The frequencies and gain are scary precise and totally matches the frontpanel engraving.
The frontpanel was done by Pete / grandmaster audio which is really a cool guy BTW, he even thought me some new english phrases.  ;D
The filterboards (igor's) where cut in 4 parts leaving 1 'big' board for the mid range, 2x for low end and 1x for hi shelf. It takes some extra wiring to have things running but it works like a charm!
All bands have a 6/off/12 db switch for gain with led (green=6db off=no led red=12db)
I'm waiting for the Forsell 993 DOA's to come in for the output but opa604's work fine for now.

Things to do for now:
* Fix one band of the left channel, it doesn't do anything, 2604 is ok, probably cold soldering (leadfree..).
* Finish the right channel.
* Crank in the DOA's.
* Clean up the wiring
* Enjoy the looks and sound.  :-*

More info and better pics after my holiday.  ::)

sontec1.jpg

sontec2.jpg

sontec3.jpg

wow!  ;D ;D You Chopped up the boards!! I never would of thought of that..

that is tremendous work, you must be very pleased..

please send some hi res pics when you can...its beautiful!

Pete

WOW!!!

This is absolutely amazing!
And as Pete wrote-more hi res pics please!
You must have worked on it for so long-so simply say:Enjoy your holiday!!! ;)

Cheers,
Udo.

Damn! That's an insane amount of resistors on all the switches!

Please tell us your survivor story on how you dealt with the mind numbing repetitiveness of that work.

zen-award of the month!

Wow!  Congrats on all the hard work.  I have about 1,000 euro worth of Elmas sitting in a box waiting for me to get time to continue work on mine but I think this week I realised it's never gonna happen so I bought a Maselec.  I'm too busy in the studio to have any time for DIY, this is good and bad I guess!

If any one is crazy enough to follow Dagoose's footsteps let me know, maybe I'll let go of the switches.  The thing that stopped me was calculating the resistors, how did you approach that Dagoose?

Cheers,
Ruairi

If any one is crazy enough to follow Dagoose's footsteps let me know, maybe I'll let go of the switches.

I will, but no way i'd spend for Elma's :eek:, these ones are cool for the price, but well maybe not as tough from what people say....

livingnote said:
Ah, what kind of Elmas are those? I'm switching to Elmas for my GSSL version...

I think those are uraltone switches not elmas, much cheaper from ebay.

bruno2000 said:
Very nice!  Who's board sets are those?
Best,
Bruno2000

Just the plain boards from Igor, only thing is that these boards are chopped by a japanese samurai fighter.  ;D
Tonight I installed the second board and that one is working now as well, only thing is that on both channels one band is not working.  :mad: So.. time for some testing and measuring when i'm back from holiday!  8)

Latest posts

Back