3u sontec showing off

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radiance said:
Nice!  Why did you cut the boards? Shorter wires maybe?
correct! I'd like to keep the wires as short as possible.
If i used the boards as they are it would make it quite a lot of wiring mes since the boards are for a 19 inch long panel and because of this panel it had to be half of that. Cutting it in even more pieces made even more sense, if you look at the bare board you can see it's really easy to chop the bands.

Yohooooooo!!!!! You did it!
Looks weird from inside, but fun. Really, like this.
I asked if somebody like mastering version boards, BTW :)
Very nice front panel look. What knobs did you used?

Hey Igor;
A mastering version of the MEP250 would be good with option on filters opamps to go with discret everywhere;
My Sontec is waiting for his final frontplate 4u it's done on Fabio's boards, discret opamp all the way but I would love to make a new one with a one board per channel to avoid the wiring mess.
Nice work Dagoose you'll see customers love this box  ;D

OK, back from holiday and so i did some work on it again.

The forsell 993's where in (damn extra taxes made them really expensive) and they sound pretty darn good though i did not test it in the studio next to opa604's.
Almost everything is working except for the mid/high band on both channels which drives me nuts! grrr.. Everything seems to be ok, checked resistors and everything but still no sound through both mid/high bands while all other bands are working.  ???
I will have my other pot sontec next to it tomorrow and do some scoping again.. it must be something TO simple to even mention.  :-X
After that, some wire clecing up and better pics. 8)

ok, all bands are working now!
I had a wrong value filter cap (100nf instead of 100pf) so it was working but i think that boosting or cutting in the 50khz range is not something i really need.  ;D
Now it's time for some finetuning and tidy things up and take some serious pics. ow.. and buy a opa2604 for one of the bands, i dropped it somewhere on the floor and it's gone..  ???

Pics soon.  :-*

OK, almost done! still some finetuning but that is more in the gain range since the 6db setting is not 100% 6db and i have about 0.1db difference in gain between left and right but that is just 'miereneuken'  ;D
It sounds great! it sounds a bit more smooth/warm then my other sontec, i think that the forsell DOA's are causing that.

I also took the time to make some better pics, here we go!

sontec1.jpg

sontec2.jpg

sontec3.jpg

sontec4.jpg

sontec5.jpg

sontec6.jpg

sontec7.jpg

sontec8.jpg

sontec9.jpg

sontec10.jpg

radiance said:
neat an tidy, the way I like it!

may I ask, are these boards fixed to the chassis or hovering around held held by the wires?

Thanks!

The filterboards are indeed hanging on the switches.. but.. the gain switches are the middle swithes and they are connected with short 1.5mm solid wire x3 per board which means that it's hanging on on 3 x 4.5mm wire and is pretty solid.
The 'big' mid range baords are mounted with the same 1.5mm copper with the groundplane connected together which is also really solid.
The filter boards are not really heavy and so this will do fine but i was thinking of using some bracket to mount the mid filter board to the frame for extra support. But if you see and feel it in real live you will see that it's more then solid enough.

@zayance: i did not do any serious measuring yet (RMAA doesn't like my terratec card in my workshop) but in the studio i compared it next to my other sontec and it had even a bit better figures though really minor differences.
So pretty good  ;D

As we speak, i'm mastering the first track with it and it's a pleasure to work with! (and ok.. look at..)

Hey Dagoose,

Really nice build! Looking good!

How long did it take you? Someone mentioned you where quick, but how quick?

Also, is this the way to go if you want to build a "Mastering Sontec"? I've always been confused about Igor's boards, thinking they are more a channel strip.

And would you be so kind as to share all your resistor values. I'm hoping to build something like this one day (soon I hope)  ;D
(Found them in White market)

I think I will end up basing a lot of what I'll do on your unit, which is very inspiring!

Take care
J

Back