Completed GSSL with turbo, 2 SSC and true bypass

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking at the photo on the front page again I see that you used a sub-chassis for mounting up the various switches and potentiometers. Now that's a cool idea. I'm always nervous about drilling the front panel for all of the little extra mounting holes you need for switches etc. and the nuts can scratch the panel when you tighten them. If you screw it up it's very visible and expensive to get a new front panel. This way you only need the main holes for the shafts to be somewhere about right. Can I ask what you used for the sub-chassis? Was it a piece of right angle aluminum? Do you think it was so worthwhile that you'd do that again?

If you just need round holes on the frontpanel its easy to use a subpanel. If you need toggle switches its another story, you need to mill the slots for the switches on the fronpanel.

I have some cases like that and its really nice, especially for toggle switches (where you see the ugly nuts on a normally panel)

If you just have potentiometers or rotary switches it depends to the knobs you use. If the knobs do hide the nuts nicely imho its not worth to build it via a subpanel.

For the subpanel you can use a flat piece of aluminium, with standoffs, mounted together with the Frontpanel to case screws. Depends on your case. Can look for a pic.

Or like in the first post you use a L bracket and screw it to the bottom.

Can you comment on the sound of this particular build? I have 2 GSSL 90% complete. Both with Turbo and I have 2 SuperSidechain boards so I'm wondering do I stick both SSC in one and none in the other or what. Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
JB

If you have Turbo in both you can just stick both SSC in one. Or you buy another 2 SSC boards... Turbo + SCC Filtering or external Input is a nice feature.

Latest posts

Back