Microphones DIY vs. Real Deal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myker

Hi guys, have seen many DIY mics around here and many of them look very cool. I had to part ways with my newer model 414's, and im a bit bummed out about it. Was wondering how some of your diy mics sound in comparison to your average $1000-$2000 mics?
-mike

all microphones have purpose even the really shitty sounding ones. You may want that somewhere.... Yeah you can DIY a nice mic that will go pound for pound  with a 2000 mic.  the info is out there...

At the experience of possibly being shunned, I modified an apex 460 (replaced caps tube ) and going through a tube preamp with a peerless input transformer sounded very yummy indeed.

wasn't as clean as a 414 but definitely had some of the yummy warm tube sound.

Definitely usable. and for about 200$  can;t beat it.

Check out the sony c37a clone schematic. have one on my lap right now i just tested, and sounds great!

- sorry if this is off topic, but just tried 2 output transformers with the c37a cathode folloer circuit one 10:1 and one 3:1. the 3:1 sounded much much more alive, and the 10:1 sounded more constrained...

if that ever comes in handy.
Abe

Latest posts

Back