Starting a DIY database, taking submissions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meathands

Hello,

My name is Peterson.  Last week, I started www.diyrecordingequipment.com in hopes of compiling a comprehensive database of all of the projects out there.  If anyone is interested in submitting information about a project, I've set up a submission form on the front page of the website.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.  If there is a field you think should be added to the sumbission form, please post it here.  Also, if you have any ideas at all about how to organize the database, what kind of information to feature about each project, etc.  I'd love to hear them!

-Peterson Goodwyn

seems a little redundant...
good luck though.

organizing and updating the metas here may be better use of energy.

okgb said:
Are you asking people to give you things ?
cause i don't see any existing projects
what have you got so far ?

So far I have written descriptions for all of the commercially available kits from Seventh Circle, FiveFish, JLM, Sound Skulptor, Hamptone, and Dantimax.  I have not posted anything yet because I am working on the organizational structure for the directory, and some kit-providers have asked to proof their entries before I post them.

I am asking people to submit what they know if they want to.  Some people might want to see certain information included about their project, so I created the submission form. 

I think it's a fine idea.  I'd like to suggest that for now, you should do a very simple display of the information you already have.  I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time contributing only to find that the projects I list have already been included.  You should get the ones proofread if you need, but maybe just put a "not yet proofread" disclaimer on them.  

This would be much easier than "organizing and updating the metas" as you can't organize or update the threads if you're not the original author or unless you are a mod.

Yea could be good...

I'm sure if you poke your nose around here you can find a lot of projects. It seems good to have another page like yours documenting and picking up info. Because I've noticed some really awesome projects from the past on here, all the links are dead and seem to need some digging up.

Mbira said:
I think it's a fine idea.  I'd like to suggest that for now, you should do a very simple display of the information you already have.  I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time contributing only to find that the projects I list have already been included.

Good idea, I will get these up as soon as possible.
Gus said:
Will this be for a for profit website?

Yes, there will probably be advertising space at some point.

A few of us started doing a wiki a while back.  It didn't catch on...

I have created a list of the projects documented so far for people to check before they submit a project:  http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/directory

I have been "researching" (read: dicking around at work) this for a couple of months, so I have a pretty good TO DO list before me, but I'm finding more stuff all of the time.  So if you know of a project that you think might be fairly obscure (ex: I just found the What Compressor last week), I would appreciate it if you would send a some links my way.

mushy said:
A few of us started doing a wiki a while back.  It didn't catch on...

That's cool.  Sorry to hear it didn't take off.  If you are thinking about contributing anything, you can be assured that NOTHING contibuted in the directory will be copyrighted.

Ptownkid said:
The green pre was made by Peter Cornell (sp?)

Ptownkid, thanks for the correction.  For some reason I assumed his last name was "Green," oops.  Perhaps a combination of Fleetwood Mac and the preamp working on my subconscious.

okgb said:
Are you checking with these people that they want the advertising ?

Yes, if I am using pictures I am checking with the vendors.  So far the response has been very generous and positive.  In the case of projects in which there is no central arbiter of information or "official" pictures, I am just posting my own research.

okgb said:
Wouldn't want to make Peter too busy

I definitely understand your concern about directing excessive amounts of traffic toward people's personal websites.  If someone wants to have their link removed from the directory, I would certainly honor that.

hey nice site, have you any plans to include a 500 series category?
i see a few projects dotted around on here.

Good idea!  Here's a start: http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/directory/500-series

That "category" is certainly exploding right now...

Hi Gary,

No problem!  You can call me Peterson, by the way--"Meathands" is an unfortunate holdover from when I was just a lurker here.

Kepeb, if you're still curious about 500-series stuff there is a rundown about it now on the front page.  Hope you find it useful.

Latest posts

Back