Audio/Power ground discussion...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

Ive brought this up before. Ive had it explained many times. I even understood it for 30 seconds one time. I think it would be beneficial to have a grounding discussion on the new forum, dont you?

Yes I realize that the route to a quiet ground is trial and error, but regardless I think that is a pretty cop out answer for a group of technically minded peeps, there MUST be some theory that applies.

What got me thinking about this was this afternoon, I spent some time racking up some langevin am17's. And here's the scenario-

Like just about any old thing, there are power grounds, audio grounds and an earth from the module. My question is what is the theory behind where to apply the audio ground to avoid a ground loop?

Ive got the power inlet ground tied to the chasis. There is a chasis ground connection on the am17 edge connector which I tied to the power ground.

Now, I can take the audio shields on the in and output of the unit and a)float them b)tie to 0V (the power for the unit is single rail +24v) or c)tie to the chasis.

Someone lay some theory on me. I'll be sure to have questions...

Ive been through the section of chapter 7 on grounidng in "the art of electronics" and can follow the discussion but by no means can pull a practical understanding of the issue to help myself at all. I think the case ground is the point where everything gets confusing for me, imagine that...

In this scenario and other like it (1272's come to mind) what would be the best way to set up the ground scheme in theory? What would be a way to guarantee a 60hz hum ground loop?

Thanks to all who have the patience to contribute on this one!

dave

Maybe this will help.
http://rane.com/note151.html

Note that NOT all 60hz hum come from improper grounding. Sometimes, the proximity of the transformer's magnetic field could cause 60hz hum in your audio circuit. (as was my case in my Neve 1272).

Latest posts

Back