Blowing fuse, wrong wire?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banu

Okay, this is the thing. I had a bad working PSU of my TAC console. The thing didn't give me a constant 48V phantom power. The 48V led was flickering now and then and then it would stop for a while etc. No 48V on the board for my mics. So I opened up the box and checked the inside. It seemed that the wire that led to the fuse for the 48V wasn't good anymore. Tapping against it would make it go on and off. The + and - rails worked, so no problem there.
Until I replaced the wire. The 48V worked perfectly, but now after a couple of minutes the fuse protecting the -V rails blew. Strange, I thought. Doing some research tells me that I used the wrong wire. At least, that's what I think. The wire I used is 0,5 mm. The old wire was a bit thicker. It's a 1A fuse for the 48V rails and a 10A fuse for the +V and -V.
Is this indeed what's going on? How exact does the thickness of the wire need to be, and how well does it need to be isolated? I didn't know about this, so I need some help figuring it out.. :)

Thanx!

Banu said:
I didn't know about this, so I need some help figuring it out.. :)

That's an understatement.
You have a faulty power supply or an intermittent short somewhere. Thickness of wire has nothing to do with it. Get it professionally serviced or risk blowing a whole lot of other stuff up by tinkering around with it.

Latest posts

Back