Suggestions for solid state mic-pre with OEP A262A3E ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

short:

Any suggestions for solid state mic-pre with
OEP A262A3E (1+1:6.45+6.45) ?

- 5534 could work I guess

- Hamptone JFP
(instead of the mentioned a 1:10 input-TX
using the OEP in either 1+1:6.45+6.45 or with
the two prim. in par. for an effective ratio of 1:12.9
(and the 200k TX-load accordingly)
This could work OK I figure.

- Any other circuits suggested ?

the idea behind it:

'?' + '1176' = '?176'

I'll be building a G1176 on MNats PCBs and will be using
the OEP input TX A262A3E.

Will be putting it in an existing 1HE enclosure
which will be having lots of space left.

So when I read about the Universal Audio 6176...
http://www.uaudio.com/products/analog/6176/index.html
...the thought popped up to add some mic-pre
to my box and since the OEP is there anyway,
why not move that TX to the mic-pre (when used)
(the 1176 will be using the 5532-input circuitry then).

BTW, the G9 would be a nice circuit to add to truly make
this a 9176,
and it has the right input-TX already present
- but since this is an 1HE box it'll give too much hassle
and I don't have that much frontpanel space left for
all G9-controls.

Thanks,

Peter

... suggestions for solid state mic-pre with
OEP A262A3E (1+1:6.45+6.45) ?
- 5534 could work I guess

http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/diy110/diy110.htm
see Peter C's version near the bottom of the page.
It has OEP and Lundahl options.

The JLM99x board can also use 5534.

With regards to the longer project ...

the 9176

I see these things as being restrictive. Unless you are into making a dedicated single mic-pre out of the basics of an 1176, the addition of the G9 tube section just complicates things.

It will cost more rack space ... and obviously more time and mony BUT in the long run would your rack look and be more useful if it had,
G9
G1176
G1176

If you must make use of the extra space and power supply in the G1176 then the addition of a simple Mic-line amp could be installed.

Still I just don't get it ?
Once you have made this simple mic-line amp you may make a second for the other G1176 ... and then want to want to use them on their own
and make available at your patch bay so it will need a real output.

:roll:
another rack box and PS and you would have had a dual Mic-pre.

A simple Project 2 based unit like Fabios or JLM99x or my little PCB with any of the simple PS you have seen here.

Just too good not to have one.

your rack would now have

G9
G1176
G1176
Dual JLM99x

patch panel

:green: :green: :green:
too good

I think what would be useful is making compressors and EQs on boards that do not have their own power supplies and in/out transformers.
It would be a lot cheaper and one could build far more vesatile units in combination.
With all that perherial stuff always designed onto the board it is impossible to cram anything into a 2U rack. Well, maybe a 17" deep one would work.

from Kev:
With regards to the longer project ...

the 9176

I see these things as being restrictive. Unless you are into making a dedicated single mic-pre out of the basics of an 1176, the addition of the G9 tube section just complicates things.

Kev, I fully agree - the hassle of trying to do things seemingly more economically often backfires. Those added 'smart' configurations can be the reason that projects never get finished :wink: / :sad:

A full G9 wasn't really suited for this 1HE box - but the analogy to the 6176 was however too tempting :wink:

If you must make use of the extra space and power supply in the G1176 then the addition of a simple Mic-line amp could be installed.
A simple micpre could be added and separate I/O is easy, but I've skipped the idea of transferring the input-TX since all that switching in mic-leads doesn't look to good.
And in addition, the A262A3E is better not used at all !
( http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=4080 )

another rack box and PS and you would have had a dual Mic-pre.
A simple Project 2 based unit like Fabios or JLM99x or my little PCB with any of the simple PS you have seen here.

Just too good not to have one.

Your 'maths' make perfect sense, thanks for the reality check ! :thumb:

Much appreciated, thanks,

Peter

I think what would be useful is making compressors and EQs on boards that do not have their own power supplies and in/out transformers.
It would be a lot cheaper and one could build far more vesatile units in combination.
With all that perherial stuff always designed onto the board it is impossible to cram anything into a 2U rack. Well, maybe a 17" deep one would work.

Modular sounds like a good idea. Could imagine with some additional required 'universality' of parts that it doesn't always gives a smaller result, but still.

Related (the last three posts):
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1069&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shell&start=15

Bye,

Peter

Back