diy a transformer/inductor winding machine?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daArry

Hey...

Just had an idea whilst taking apart an old tape player (using the case to hold a psu) - could the left overs - such as the tape motor, digit counter etc be fudged together to make a transformer/inductor winding machine? you could just fst forward and watch the counter to see the amount of turns made...

Just a stab in the dark...

D

http://www.lollarguitars.com/winding_book.htm

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickup_winding_and_repair/1/Schatten_Pickup_Winder/Pictures.html#details

alot of people i know wind pickups for guitars. they just salvage sewing machines from the dumpster. mainly because it has an adjustable speed (foot pedal!!). :razz:

you can find cheap digital counters on ebay for just a few bucks. or if you want to get crazy diy....

ive seen a guy take apart a cheap calculator, and soldered a couple of jumpers on and had it where everytime it made a revolution it would press the = sign. a digital readout.
if your interested ill try and track that one down for ya.

now, most guitar pickups are about 5-10k winds. and i think trannys have ALOT more if im not mistaken

hope that helps a little.
t

I made a winder from an old electric screwdriver/drill.

added a infrared sensor, some transistors plus an impuls counter (1 euro @ evilbay)

perfect for small transformers and inductors.

steff

winder1.jpg

winder2.jpg

winder3.jpg

winder4.jpg

Cool!

Yes, you can use a calculator very easily- just connect wires across the contacts for the "=" button, and before you start winding punch in "1+1". Each time the "=" contact is made adds 1 to the count. You can even store where you are up to in the memory! Some better spec calcs need to have "1++1" punched in to allow a "constant", but cheaper ones seem to work with "1+1".

It can be triggered by a few methods- contact switch (not good reliability), magnet with reed-switch, magnet with Hall-effect switch, or an infra-red sensor like Steffen's.

Tape counters usually have a small wheel below which has one-rotation-for-one-digit-count, so connecting the shaft of the counter directly to the winding shaft will give you a turns-counter. Most tape counters are just random measures to give you a positional indicator- most domestic/ semi pro types are just run from a band on the right-hand takeup spool, and so the count actually varies in length as the spool gets fuller/emptier. Bigger machines counters (Studers etc) are run off a separate hub which touches the tape and has a slotted disk with two sensors run in quadrature to read tape-forward and tape-reverse length. A bit high tech for a DIY winding machine!

I use a small DC motor with a variable speed drive with a bit of Meccano!

:thumb:

Mark

yeah I did that pocket calc thing with my "hand winder"

wickel.jpg

the infrared sensor triggered a relay which shorts the "+" contact on the calculator. but the countersetup was to slow for the turbo version :green:

@daArry I´ll post some shots of the stuff I did with the winder

steff

Back