SERPENT AUDIO - SB4000 / SA-3A / SEND 'N BLEND (FINAL STOCK)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ptownkid said:
Parts only, Mike is handling the boards and faceplates. The kit will contain everything needed to build the whole unit except transformer, iec inlet, and knobs.

Excellent!! Thanks!!  Any recommendations on a transformer, Mike?

Neil said:
Ptownkid said:
Parts only, Mike is handling the boards and faceplates. The kit will contain everything needed to build the whole unit except transformer, iec inlet, and knobs.

Excellent!! Thanks!!  Any recommendations on a transformer, Mike?

Yay Page 2!

Hold that thought till about Tuesday.  The unit's drawing about 400mA with all LED's on, all relays engaged, and bargraph fully lit.  That's with THAT2181 VCA's and 5532/34 opamps.  The audio regulators want to see about 3V over their output voltage (15V), so they need to see at least 18V (Wired in Series).  A 15V toroid might be ok depending on the rating and overhead, but safe bet is an 18V (Series) XFMR.  I'm currently using a Triad VPT36-1390.  It works great but it's a tight fit.  It does fit though.  With the parmetal cases you have a 35mm height restriction, not sure about the modushops.  I had a slightly smaller, cheaper toroid come in but it's either defective or mislabeled.  Wasn't running anywhere near its supposed rating.  Waiting for a replacement from Mouser.  I'll let you know the outcome as soon as I get it.

Ok...here we go

The parts kit will include everything needed to build the entire unit EXCEPT chassis, iec inlet, power tx and knobs

Some highlights (to show we took quality into consideration)

-Panasonic FC/FM low esr caps throughout
-Epcos film caps
-Vishay ceramic and tantalum caps
-Low noise versions of all DIP IC's
-THAT 2181A in the audio chain
-THAT 2181C in the side chain
-Machined IC sockets
-3M ribbon cable and connectors
-Lorlin rotary switches
-Honeywell pots

All caps are 2X voltage for life expectancy considerations.

The parts kit price for the pre-order is $250 CAD, you can also pre-order the meter pictured on Mike's unit for $27 CAD.
Please note the boards and (Optional) Front Panels are not included in the kit, they must be ordered direct from ruckus328

Shipping will be under $20 worldwide without meter and under $25 with. Exact shipping rates are hard to estimate without parts in hand and I don't like charging any individual more than it costs me to ship it.

Pre-order page will be up mid next week

Cheers

Ptownkid said:
The parts kit will include everything needed to build the entire unit EXCEPT iec inlet, power tx and knobs

A quick suggestion; perhaps you should offer a kit that allows for use of dbx 202's for the main VCA's and doesn't include the 2181A's. That may also require two or three resistor value changes.

Mark

Biasrocks said:
Ptownkid said:
The parts kit will include everything needed to build the entire unit EXCEPT iec inlet, power tx and knobs

A quick suggestion; perhaps you should offer a kit that allows for use of dbx 202's for the main VCA's and doesn't include the 2181A's. That may also require two or three resistor value changes.

Mark

I can comply with that if it's requested.

Thanks for all the hard work and the nice price. Looking forward to the build.

Ruckus,

Is there any possibility of paying via wire transfer?  My paypal account is empty and I gave up on credit cards.

Looking forward to the build, a ready made kit is all I can find time for these days.

Thank you,
Ruairi

Haha, you're the second person to ask me that today.  Yes, I'm going to get it set up with my bank to take transfers, but it's a holiday weekend and they're closed on Monday, so won't be taken care of until Tuesday.  I'll PM you when it's good to go.  Thanks for the interest.

ruckus328 said:
Haha, you're the second person to ask me that today.  Yes, I'm going to get it set up with my bank to take transfers, but it's a holiday weekend and they're closed on Monday, so won't be taken care of until Tuesday.  I'll PM you when it's good to go.  Thanks for the interest.

No rush at all, PM when you are ready to go.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Ptownkid said:

so, am i safe to assume that this means an enclosure will be included in your kit, ptownkid?

Latest posts

Back