Racking Gates "The Yard" Console Pre Amps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just grabed a gates pre circuit board with most of the componants from a friend.

I would lovemto see some detailed pictures of your co plested pre if yiu habe them,

Thanks

I recently bought transformers from a Yard console, the exact same on than on the schematic in the 1st post. 2 inputs, and 2 outputs one.
I was wondering if I could use them in a Ampex 600 preamp (I guess yes, because same 1st tube) but my main concern is: how does the 150 ohms input reacts with modern 600 ohms microphones? Any experience with that?
I was thinking on adding a switch to use either 50 or 150 ohms input.

thomasdf said:
I recently bought transformers from a Yard console, the exact same on than on the schematic in the 1st post. 2 inputs, and 2 outputs one.
I was wondering if I could use them in a Ampex 600 preamp (I guess yes, because same 1st tube) but my main concern is: how does the 150 ohms input reacts with modern 600 ohms microphones? Any experience with that?
I was thinking on adding a switch to use either 50 or 150 ohms input.

You could use them on pretty much any tube mic pre.  The tube type makes no real difference.

Your 600 ohm mic won't see 150 ohms (unless you load the sec with a 47K resistor) - it will see more like 1.5 to 2K, so it's a typical bridging impedance.

Back