Speaker Switcher

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

Does anyone have plans for a high quality speaker switcher?  I'm basically looking to connect 6 different sets of monitors, like the Coleman Audio MS6R.

Thanks!
Sig

I picked up a Switchcraft Sound Control Center at one of those
Big stereo stores that closed down for $20.00. It's got 8 select
bottons on the front with my eight pairs of speakers hooked up to it.

Wanna pop 'er open and let me have a look-see?  I'd like to see how it's all wired together and what switches they use.

Is it fully balanced?

Thanks,
Sig

Rod Elliott has a couple of things over at his place... http://sound.westhost.com/absw.htm seemed the closest to what you're asking for...

Ya, I'm looking for a line level device, so I'm using 6 different amps to drive 6 sets of speakers.  I think this can be even more simple.

The Coleman Audio one must barely have anything inside of it.

Thanks,
Sig

Should be a pretty easy build.  If you want to keep it super simple, a Lorlin rotary with break before make 2x6 should do the trick.  I'm not sure about popping.  Or you could do the same thing using some relays.
Just a thought.

I've not done it with 6 but I have done it with three plus a mute.  You can do it balanced or unbalanced, simply use a switch.  I've did it with 4 lines into the switch (L +/-, R +/-) and going out to 12.  Tie all the grounds together and the clicking is minimal though you need to watch for ground hums.  If you want to get fancy make sure you use gold-flashed terminals.  Built it into a 1ru rack case with some other switching for headphone monitoring, never had cross talk, never had any issues in 4 years of constant operation.  If you want you could even add a small power supply to power a light system for indicators etc but I never did.

M

If you are trying to avoid having to switch through all the sets of monitors to get from set 1 to 6 maybe pushbuttons with a relay system are the way to go

I know this might not be the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but it has seemed to work great for us.  Also a plus, it only cost $10 in switches from a surplus place, good switches too.

http://picasaweb.google.com/112272760817270955899/AudioProjects#

This switcher is mounted on a blank plate on a Quad Eight Ventura which had no speaker switching facilities.  

Been a while since I looked at this, but wondering if anything else cool in this department has popped up?

Igor had some logic thing a while back, but I'm not entirely sure of how to utilize that just yet...

Latest posts

Back