Akai M8 preamp wiring stupid question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimboJohnson

Hi all - I've got several Akai M8's to convert to mic pres, guitar amps etc.  Left and right module each have their own power transformer, 117v primary, 250 secondary. There's meant to be a main stepdown transformer/voltage selector unit, but unfortunately, I have only one of these. Being in australia, and having 240v, and only one original stepdown tranny/voltage selector assembly; my question is...  Is it safe to simply wire both 117v primaries in series; and have twice the current running through them? I'm just going to burn up the little buggers that way, hey?
Cheers, Jim 

Just woke up this morning and realised my foolishness. In answer to my own question. Voltage doubles, but impedance doubles as well, so total current remains the same.

yes it will work, and no I won't burn them up. The current of 240v hooked up to 2 is the same as 120v hooked up to 1. I forgot Ohm's law for a couple painful moments last night

Latest posts

Back