162 dbx questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abechap024

Hello,
Just wondering the best way to make the 160vu project into a stereo unit.

For some reason DBX didn't want to just tie the side chains of 2 dbx 160vu units together for stereo operation. so they came out with the 162 which is a stereo dbx 160vu unit. Anyone know the reasons DBX did this?

Also, I can't find a lot of specific information on the 162 unit (the manual on the DBX website, but just shows the 160vu schematic) I have questions, such as did they use 2 rms units in the 162 or just one???

For a 162 i'm thinking of making a special PCB and just having one RMS unit that drives 2 VCAS....

But another thought is, if we use THAT vcas will units be close enough to just sum the pre-RMS (or post?) side chain and then be able to link multiple DBX 160vus?

Thanks

AC

There are multiple ways to do it.  Study the various GSSL methods, and also look here.  I don't know what the 162 did, exactly, but it was really heavy handed, whatever it was.  I suspect the reason DBX did not tie two 160's together was the number of things that would have to be tied. 

More SSL/GSSL discussion

abechap024 said:
Hello,
Just wondering the best way to make the 160vu project into a stereo unit.

For some reason DBX didn't want to just tie the side chains of 2 dbx 160vu units together for stereo operation. so they came out with the 162 which is a stereo dbx 160vu unit. Anyone know the reasons DBX did this?

Also, I can't find a lot of specific information on the 162 unit (the manual on the DBX website, but just shows the 160vu schematic) I have questions, such as did they use 2 rms units in the 162 or just one???

For a 162 i'm thinking of making a special PCB and just having one RMS unit that drives 2 VCAS....

But another thought is, if we use THAT vcas will units be close enough to just sum the pre-RMS (or post?) side chain and then be able to link multiple DBX 160vus?

Thanks

AC

The DBX 162 is a different animal from the 160/161.  It uses plug in modules for outputs, and has a connector on the back so that you could link them for "quad".  I believe I have the circuit for it and will post when I find it.
Best,
Bruno2000

emrr said:
There are multiple ways to do it.  Study the various GSSL methods, and also look here.   I don't know what the 162 did, exactly, but it was really heavy handed, whatever it was.   I suspect the reason DBX did not tie two 160's together was the number of things that would have to be tied. 

More SSL/GSSL discussion

Really interesting discussion emmr, it does mention briefly the DBX 163, but doesn't go into detail about the circuit used in the 162vu. But interesting discussion that answered some other questions I've been thinking about...

bruno2000 said:
...It uses plug in modules for outputs ...  I believe I have the circuit for it and will post when I find it.
Best,
Bruno2000

Paraphrased your message for the most interesting pieces of information! :) Output modules? interesting..I do hope you can find you schematic

Thanks both of you,
Abe

We had a 162 in the Remote Truck.  The unit was mounted almost vertically, and the output modules would vibrate out of their sockets.
Best,
Bruno2000

the reason dbx gave at the time for not even giving
the option to tie two 160 units together was accuracy between
any two units.
they stated (printed) for that to be a viable stereo result, they
would have to go from the 5 or 10 % resistors that they used
to 1% or better, which would raise cost.

then they mention the 162.

Hiya,

I own two 162's, recapped them both,and use them a lot. Especially vocal bus and bass buss. Sometimes just as a simple level booster for stuff that is ,ehm, unloud.
But I don't think there's a single vca in  them. I believe the detection for the gain reduction is more or less the same for the 160vu and 162vu. Then again,you might know this already.

Cheers ,
Pieter

Thanks for your insight...I still was curious, because the only reference it has on the schematic is jumpers/pins that go to a different PCB or can of some type... So thanks!

Ac

AC,

Yes, if you look in the 160-161-162 service manual, it discusses calibrating the 162 and yes, it mentions dual RMS.

Regarding the VCA: Jim Williams states, "The 162 uses a matched transistor pair in front of a TL08x opamp."

You should PM Matthias - he seems to know ALOT about these old dbx compressors.

DY

Back