The plugin corner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joechris

Well, my first vote goes to the Brainworks BX digital V2 eq. It has a user interface that will be impossible to copy in the analog domain.
http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_digital_v2
And no, I dont work for Brainworks.  :)
J

I didn't DIY this plugin...but if this is like asking what our most bad ass plug in of all time is...I think Antares "Tube" ;) ;) ;)...if I had to choose.

Well, if we're talking about DIY plugins, here's my entry:

The Bullet Overdrive:

TBO-b2.jpg

Nothing revolutionary (TS808 inspired), but it works and sounds good.

Ok, I see that this thread title is more confusing than funny. What I had in mind was a thread about plugins that are so good or different, that it would make analog DIY an unnessesary effort.
That is of cause never true. DIY is always nessesary :) So lets make this a general plugin thread. I will edit the title.

Skylar, do you have a download address for the Bullet?

Here is another favorite of mine. The Pianoverb.  http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/reverbs/psp_pianoverb/
Its like a piano with the sustain pedal down, and the sound you put throu it gets this nice harmonic reverb. Nice for more ambient stuff.

Clean and accurate
  • Sonnox EQ and Dynamics
  • DMG EQuality

Edged
  • Stillwel The Rocket
  • otiumFX Compadre
  • Cakewalk Vintage Channel VC64

Free and very usefull,
  • Kjaerhus

detonator said:
Free and very usefull,
  • Kjaerhus

If you can still find them anywhere. The developer/company disappeared from the face of the earth.

Fun for all of us using his long dead challenge/response protected plugins.  :mad:

Kingston said:
If you can still find them anywhere. The developer/company disappeared from the face of the earth.
Didn't know that. I've been using the Free Delay and Free Chorus for years. Very happy with those

Have any of you tried the Slate Digital FG-X Mastering processor?

Here's the story....@ GS there's a mighty long thread covering this new plugin..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/508796-slate-digital-fg-x-1-1-available.html

Reading through all these praising posts I got caught by the hype around this plug. I almost bought it blindly ..or did I?
No, first tried the demo.
This is supposed to be a new concept, a so called "game changer" plug-in.
In short, it redistributes energy normally lost when limiting. (do I say this right?)

No matter how hard I tried, I could not hear what the hype was about. First, I compared it to Logics Adaptive limiter which is ok but not spectacular I guess. They where kind of the same in terms of loudness. Then I tried the Sonnox limiter as well and this was noticeably the loudest.
When pushed less, all three were ok. Sonnox could add some color with the enhance slider, FG-X has also some tricks but all at the cost of higher rms levels.
I'm kinda lost here since I seem to be the only person who just does not hear how great this plug-in is.

Can it be that:
1) I just don't hear (and care) for subtle differences? I'm a producer, not a mastering engineer.
2) I used the wrong material? Most of the people praising this plug did rock AFAIK. I produce mostly electronic (dance) music.
3) I was expecting too much of it?
4) well...it's over hyped really, this plug?

It's a very strange feeling cause after reading that thread at GS I kind of decided to buy this plug. Promoting a product using forums is a powerful tool I guess.....maybe I should buy to Sonnox limiter instead (I was using the demo...).

radiance said:
after reading that thread at GS I kind of decided to buy this plug.

GS.

hype.

appeal to authority that runs rampant in there (I know a friend of a friend of a [insert hype name]).

You should have known better.

radiance said:
Have any of you tried the Slate Digital FG-X Mastering processor?
No sorry man, I don't believe in complete packaged solutions. Mastering or tracking is done by carefully selecting the tools you need. Each track requires a different approach. For instance IK’s TRACKS is ok, but nothing more than that.

detonator said:
No sorry man, I don't believe in complete packaged solutions.

Neither do I.
They just call it that because it's not an ordinary limiter. It's not a complete package AFAIK.

Would be nice if someone tried the demo version and compared it to other limiters.
You'll need an Ilok for this though :mad:

From what I've been exposed to, some of the best software at capturing the elusive analog "Magic"  is URS. I really like their version of the Neve eq and the 1970 limiter. I really like the something special it adds...

...hmm I wonder If I could work in their advertising department :p :eek: :eek: :eek:

Joechris said:
Well, my first vote goes to the Brainworks BX digital V2 eq. It has a user interface that will be impossible to copy in the analog domain.
http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_digital_v2
And no, I dont work for Brainworks.  :)
J
The v2 is insanely good, so versitile.

I´m hooked on UAD plugins, particularly the 670, LA2A, 33609, pultec and 160VU emulations.

I have 4 original 160VU´s here, and the UAD does well.

I´m not using the UAD LA2A too much since i finished my DLA2A but i think it´s nice

I love the UAD pultec. I must build one stereo pultec ASAP !

The UAD 670, i find it a bit obvious sounding even with 3-4dB GR but i like it a lot on some situations.

The UAD 33609 definitely is not  like the 32264 compressors on our Neve 8058, but it has a similar "mojo". i Like it.

And the plugin i cannot live without is the waves C1. I think it can handle so many tasks (static and dynamic EQ, deess, freq. control, depop, freq dependant dynamics inversion or expanding.....with the C1 comp/sc version) that if i had to live with only one plugin the rest of my life, it will be the C1 ! As an exercise, someday i´m going to mix one track using exclusively the C1 and a couple of time-domain FX.

Just my very subjective points of view.

I really like the UAD Pultec, both versions, LA3A and 670.  The stock plugs are nice as well.  The LA2A and 1176 are fine, but don't shine quite as well to me.  I haven't demoed any add on plugs that I haven't bought.  The TC powercore package is really useable but the tubifex and  vintage cl (160 type sound) peek out a bit above the rest, though the rest are really high quality.  I bought a used Element card cheap, so can't  add any plugs, but consider it a real bargain for what I got.  Overall, both cards stand out in quality plus the added processing power puts them far over anything else I've tried, including waves, and they don't hold you hostage.  I'll never buy waves again.  The only way to make that investment work would be to run 98SE on an old machine, and why deal with that, today?

Edit:  The line 6 full package of plugins covers a lot of bases.

I'm a huge soundtoys fan. I almost exclusively use echoboy for delays and tremolator and panman daily. Decapitator is incredible too, I reach for that before eq when I need to drastically alter the tone of something or "rough something up"

Latest posts

Back