3 band filters--MULTIBAND compression--schematics or design....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pw8888

HI
I am looking to design a box like the three sum from Drawmer.
BAsically a design that will allow me to split my mix in 3 bands and then re-construct the signal.with no compromise (audio)
Tubetech and maselec have unit that does that ( i mean with their compressor)
I am looking for the filter section shematics
Does anybody knows where I could get the SMC2B shematics ?
Does anybody know how they deal with phase shift ?
The box i am designing (user) right know will contain much more feature.
But first i need to find a VERY good solution and efficient solution regarding filtering.
thanks for your idea and help !!

Phil
;)

i did but didn't really find the exact info i am looking for....this is why i am giving another try... ;)

I know the Maselec uses passive buffered single pole filters. I remember a thread here? where someone who makes custom multibands for broadcast said that the method used by Aphex in the Dominator sounded the best to his ears. I would suggest getting the Active Filter Cookbook. I have the same thing in mind except I want to do mock ups of lots of filter designs and see what's going on.

Gold said:
I know the Maselec uses passive buffered single pole filters. I remember a thread here? where someone who makes custom multibands for broadcast said that the method used by Aphex in the Dominator sounded the best to his ears. I would suggest getting the Active Filter Cookbook. I have the same thing in mind except I want to do mock ups of lots of filter designs and see what's going on.

Do you know where i could get the shematic ?
it is strange because you can find so many stuff floating around ...but that subject seems to be harder to find....or it is just me ;D

I would consider "derived" loudspeaker crossover topology, where you use one actual filter to make the HP or LP, then subtract that from 1, to get the other bandpass.  You don't get symmetrical slopes on the roll off, but they do sum back to unity better than other band splitting approaches.

Another thing to consider, is the side chain filters don't have to be as precise...  De-essers don't even split the primary path, just the side-chain. Perhaps use a variant on de-essing for high-mid frequencies, and real band split for low frequencies.. You really want to prevent bass from dominating the envelope for high-mid gain manipulations, but HF and MF interactions shouldn't be as problematic. 

or not.......

I worry that you can't put Humpty back together again for complex waveforms with different passband gains. So waveform integrity is surely compromised by these manipulations.

JR

nille said:
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/derived-xovers.htm

Thanks for The info !!
Do you know if this is possible to get The smc2b (from tubetech) shematics ?
In fact i would like to see the xover in a "real situation"...
Thanks
Phil

Latest posts

Back