Finally got my hybrid Pultec done...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

Hi All,

It's taken a while, but I finally finished my Pultec. Here's some pix (they're very large):

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Special thanks to NYDave for general guidance, Jakob for his design, which I didn't use but which I studied long and hard, Winston O'Boogie for help with transformers and parts, and extra special thanks to Cayacosta for sharing his wiring diagram. If it wasn't for that diagram I'd still be staring at the schematic and scratching my head.

:guinness: :sam:

Nice stuff, Seth. You beat me. :oops: But I have a pair coming along nicely. Is that the Sowter inductor?

Way to go. One down, eh? :wink:

Polypropylenes from Mouser?

I recognize those 'cause I bought the same for my own EQ project, which I hope to build sometime before the end of the decade. They are big fuckers, aren't they?

I was really pumped when I first glanced at the third photo, 'cause I thought I saw DYMO labels! Whoops... my mistake. They're Brother.

Nice work, Seth.

Great :thumb: Seth :thumb:
I have no courage (read: :sad: and money :sad: ) to start original because its hard (and expencive) to find all of transformers, inductors and swirches.
I am in progress with mine Gyraf Pultec.
need some parts and chassis.
Duka

Thanks, guys. I had a bad moment until I realized I'd wired the bypass switch backwards. Oops...

Sowter inductor and polypropylenes from Digi-Key, actually. They had all the values. I go back and forth about the Brother labels - the gear works fine. I'd love nice face plates, but I have a hard time with the idea of spending more money and effort purely on front panels. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the DIY engraving machine project.

:thumb: :thumb:

I like to live on the edge, but not where fuses are concerned - it's in the IEC connector. The terminal board came out of an old Tek instrumentation preamp. It just happened to be exactly the right size. Aside from the API card it's exactly the Pultec in the schematics in the Meta, with a Jensen JT-11SSP6M 1:1 input transformer I got from Winston O'Boogie. He was kind enough to throw in the pots and boards.

I was just doing some listening on a mono track - wow does this thing have some bottom! It's definitely going to add some interesting bass/bass drum possibilities. It's always nice when you finish something and not only does it work, but it actually sounds good. Hmmm....now where in my racks am I going to put it?

:thumb: :green: :sam: :guinness:

is there any reaosn why you have choosen exactly that type of capacitors ??

It was the only family of polypropylenes where I could find all of the values. I looked at a bunch of different esoteric types but I couldn't find all of the values in one product line, and I didn't want to mix and match. I don't know if mixing caps would have been audible, but I didn't want to start with mixed caps.

Did you play any music thru it yet?

Yes - it has Pultec bottom, that's for sure. I need to listen to the top end a bit more on some other music. I don't quite get it yet.

How did you set up the API card?

An 11k resistor between pins 7+8 for roughly 20dB of fixed gain.

Latest posts

Back