I would like to build my own Valve Equaliser. Can someone answer these questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tung-Sol

Greetings.

In the year of 2011, I would like to build my on Valve Equaliser.

Are there any books that can guide me along the way?

My design will comprise of using multiple ECC 81 and ECC 83 valves.

Can I have one valve for each frequency band?

Is it possible for me to get the exact fixed tuning frequency I am aiming for?

For example, if one would like a frequency of 22688.806, can I attain such a figure?

Can I have one valve for each frequency band?

This will be used in my home and, I am not interested in building a copy of another product. I would like to build my own custom designed device based on my specifications.

I've purchased a good amount of old ECC 81 & ECC 83 throughout the years to build such a product. I would like to move a step further and learn the topology behind building a Valve Equaliser.

If someone can answer my questions or direct me where I can find the answer, it would be most helpful.  ;D

Cheers

Tung-Sol said:
I would like to move a step further and learn the topology behind building a Valve Equaliser.

I've never seen an equalizer which uses a valve per frequency band...

Basically the valves usually take no part in the equalization.

Every EQ which I can recall seeing has been a passive EQ stage followed by a simple tube makeup section. -That's it.

Keith

There are also active tube equalizers. Decide for yourself if the complexity is actually worth it...

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/equal_prj.htm, Fig. 12

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=23505.0

http://gyraf.dk/schematics/KH_UE100_equalizer.pdf

Are you looking for a "Graphic" (aka "band") type valve equalizer ? The only know specimen ever marketed is the vintage BLONDER-TONGUE "Audio Baton" B-9b which dates from the mid fifties and was intended for the Hi-Fi (not Pro) market. It use only common tubes and should be easy to duplicate. Very smooth sounding but a little bit noisy in its original form. Maybe a good source of inspiration for your project ? Much easier to build and different from the endless boring PULTEC clones found on these boards.   

Attachments

• BT B-9b.gif
    BT B-9b.gif
    207.1 KB · Views: 66
The UE100 is incredible. It's very hi fi sounding though. Not a lot of color. I would concentrate on the shelving sections. Massive.

strangeandbouncy said:
???

Pultec, boring?

whagr==wwwwwwwfffff!!!!!!!!!

hurrumph!

Yes, I mean... CLONING Pultec's is becoming increasingly BORING (at least for me) ,otherwise PULTEC's are great eq's as everybody knows.
The D.I.Y spirit is not only restricted to cloning and reverse engineering. It's also about experimenting with new (innovative) circuits , different (unusual) topologies , new (strange) ideas , etc... wich are sadly missing from these boards. (Should have been renamed FAIRPULTECLONE.com)
Now that everybody has  Pultec clones,what's next ?  I become more and more TIRED reading endless posts about cloning the same old vintage gear ad nauseum.
PLEASE BE CREATIVE AND DIFFERENT ! That's the true D.I.Y (and artistic) spirit, IMO 

Cheers Mates!

Tubologic follows the same thought pattern as myself in regards to cloning. Why copy another design when you have your own ideas?

Also, the Pultec does not suite my requirements based on a lack of bands in addition to inappropriate frequency settings.

I would recommend many who never tried to as the Americans say “build it from scratch” to venture into the realm of the unknown. I can assure you, the sense of accomplishment will be far greater having your very own custom design.

I’ve already commissioned a software version of my equaliser so I know exactly the frequencies needed. The only steps left is to turn this plug-in into a hardware design using valves.

Eskimo’s suggestion appears to be what I am looking for. It will enable me to create banks of frequencies, with each frequency having it’s own valve. 

I will need to explore how I would like to create the supply powering twenty-five ECC 81/83s. However, at least I now have a starting point.  ;D

Matthew Jacobs said:
pucho812 said:
NYD eq with tube makeup gain

Definitely want to build that! But NYD removed schematics before my time.

Still, I'm trying to build my own version of a 4 band passive eq.

J

there were never official schematics. just theory from NYdave. Some people made schematics from that theory of notes. good info none the less

pucho812 said:
Matthew Jacobs said:
pucho812 said:
NYD eq with tube makeup gain

Definitely want to build that! But NYD removed schematics before my time.

Still, I'm trying to build my own version of a 4 band passive eq.

J

there were never official schematics. just theory from NYdave. Some people made schematics from that theory of notes. good info none the less

here is all info to build nyd eq
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=4107.20

Latest posts

Back