JMan

Re: SB4000 Support Thread
« Reply #1540 on: March 29, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
Hey felix, I tried to upload it but it’s not going through — I think maybe the file is too big.  PM me and we’ll get it sorted.

Blackdawg

« Reply #1541 on: April 24, 2020, 01:39:42 AM »
would be great man! i didn‘t find it yet.
Thank you!
Here is a link to all the docs I have for this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C5WfXIfJVefF90KV2jqWBoyQkgP4qZOr?usp=sharing

As the build guide and BOM and such.  Sorry theres a few other random docs that pertain to my own build you can ignore ha

ruckus328

« Reply #1542 on: May 08, 2020, 08:09:06 PM »
Links have been fixed.
Serpent Audio™ - SB4000 & SA-3A Boards & Parts Kits / SB4001 Preorder / Send 'N Blend

www.serpentaudio.com

« Reply #1543 on: May 19, 2020, 11:37:28 AM »
I'm trying to calibrate power on my SB4000 build and I keep frying the 10 ohm resistor at R182 on the PS board.  The first time I believe I accidentally shorted the pins with my meter probe.  I replaced the part and got the PS calibrated alone but R182 fried again as soon as I connected the main board (with the control board still disconnected) - replaced it again and it fried again when connecting the main board. 

Are there parts I should replace in the power supply  besides R182 (and its companion R183)?  I have some electronics education but mostly from many years ago, so I will have to beg your patience with me if I am being thick here.

I have looked for any obvious problems with solder bridges or component orientation and I found nothing.  One thing I notice is that the VU meter (I am using the one from Hairball) is very bright - before replacing the PS resistors the second time, I also upped of R133 (currently using 300 ohms, I  believe I originally used 260) in case that was an issue, but the meter still seems very bright - until R182 cooks, at least.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
   John

critterkllr

« Reply #1544 on: June 22, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »
The dropbox links don't work for me so I can't get the build guide or BOM. I have a working SB4000 that I'd like to swap VCAs in. I'm removing a pair of Quad VCAs to a pair of DBX 202c's. Do I need to modify anything to get them to work correctly?

JMan

« Reply #1545 on: July 02, 2020, 03:11:53 AM »
The dropbox links don't work for me so I can't get the build guide or BOM. I have a working SB4000 that I'd like to swap VCAs in. I'm removing a pair of Quad VCAs to a pair of DBX 202c's. Do I need to modify anything to get them to work correctly?

Did you try Blackdawg’s google drive link a few posts up?  That works and has everything you need.

I think you’ll need to modify some things to make the DBXs work, but don’t quote me.  I’d take a very thorough read through this entire thread, as it was definitely discussed at some point earlier on.

Any chance you’d be willing to part with the quad VCA boards that you’re taking out?

« Reply #1546 on: July 04, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »

The schematic has a chart on the left side explaining what changes to make when using the DBX cans. It's pretty simple.
If you haven't found it, then here's a link to my dropbox that should work;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltxznsz09y02t8j/SB4000_schematic.pdf?dl=0

critterkllr

« Reply #1547 on: July 04, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
The schematic has a chart on the left side explaining what changes to make when using the DBX cans. It's pretty simple.
If you haven't found it, then here's a link to my dropbox that should work;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltxznsz09y02t8j/SB4000_schematic.pdf?dl=0
Did you try Blackdawg’s google drive link a few posts up?  That works and has everything you need.

I think you’ll need to modify some things to make the DBXs work, but don’t quote me.  I’d take a very thorough read through this entire thread, as it was definitely discussed at some point earlier on.

Any chance you’d be willing to part with the quad VCA boards that you’re taking out?

Thank you both. I didn’t realize it was in the schematic at first. I’ll need to wait until I’m at a computer since it shows up pretty blurry on my phone.

Will definitely sell the quad VCA’s if I end up preferring the DBX’s more.

JMan

« Reply #1548 on: July 04, 2020, 11:28:50 PM »
Thank you both. I didn’t realize it was in the schematic at first. I’ll need to wait until I’m at a computer since it shows up pretty blurry on my phone.

Will definitely sell the quad VCA’s if I end up preferring the DBX’s more.

Glad you were able to find what you needed!

Let me know re: the quad VCA boards.  I’d be happy to take them off your hands if you like the dbx cans better!

EmptyMusicBox1

« Reply #1549 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:57 AM »
Hello

Do you know if it's a good idea to add the VCAs trim to the front pannel for add a "Warp" compression control ?

i have see this function on this comp :

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/funky-junk-industries-solid-compressor

« Reply #1550 on: August 04, 2020, 11:55:34 PM »
Great stuff. So, I wired it all up and did the calibrations.  For some reason my Bar LED is not working.  No blink, nothing.  So I was not able to calibrate this.  Everything else went well and the unit sounds very promising so far :)

had the bar graph in upside-down.  Now it lights up.  Checked it on a mix and it's  always in the red in both input and output on a mix that has 5 db headroom.  Normal?

I'll have to wiggles some things around to see if I can get the bar meter working. 
One last question:  There are so many trim pots and I find it strange that in the calibration I did not have to touch all of them, specifically the 2 on the VCA boards...what am I missing?

DW

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem as you with the Bar Meter always running too hot, did you ever get to fix this? Thanks