SB4000 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funkmuffin said:
Thanks Ruckus!  Here's another one, since I'm apparently just full of them tonight.

About the In/Ext In switch next to the Threshold -- If we don't plan to use the external in for ducking etc., can we leave this switch out altogether?  Can we just "hardwire" it to IN, without the switch?  Did I get the purpose of the switch correct?

Thanks!

Oops, didn't notice your question - sorry!

Actually the "External In" is just the label for the switch.  The "IN" means the external input has been engaged.  I couldn't think of any other way to label it with the room available.

But to answer your question - the "external input" is disabled by default.  If you're not planning on using it, just don't wire it to the board.  You could save yourself a relay for another project as well, since the toggle switch controls a relay that would now be serving no function.  If you're using one of my front panels though, you'll probably want to put a toggle switch there though as it might look funny with an empty hole.

Hopes this helps.

Posted in the white market thread as well.

Anyone who ordered boards only, they will be shipping Tuesday 10/12.

Panels = NIGHTMARE

First off, anyone who has any interest in using par-metal for any type of production items, RUN.  And run fast.  I will never be using them again.  If I had known then what I know now, I would have just used my regular shop.  The only reason I didn't is because they were backed up for 6 weeks.  I assumed using the guys whom half of you get your front panels from anyways to do the custom front panels seemed pretty logical, what a mistake.

I will post the full story tomorrow because I'm exhausted from this situation right now, but bottom line is, I recieved the machined panels on Wed, they are at my screener (because par-metal's sample screening was horrific).

However, quite a large percentage of the machined panels I will be rejecting.  Some of them are good, and some of them are not.  There were 100 made so I only inspected a percentage.  I'm having them all screened and will weed through the rejects when I get them (Screener indicated they'll be done on Wed-Thurs).

I sent par-metal a nice hate mail, and they are re-doing the entire run, delivery will be in a week, at which point I will need to send the second run to the screener.

I will keep everyone updated as soon as I get the first run from the screener.  If by next Friday I don't have the situation worked out, if there is anyone who is really itching to start thier boards, I can ship the boards and sent the panels seperately the following week.  I will eat the additional shipping costs.

I am very sorry for this delay, it has been very stressful, fustrating, and upsetting, and I am doing everything I can to settle this matter.

Sorry to hear about your issues with PM. I have had terrible experiences with some metal shops as well.
I'm sure that most people here don't want you to lose money on this.

Good luck,

Mike

Guys, while building another unit I came to realize the honeywell pots don't come with a nut to mount it to the panel.  (Retarded)  They use the same size as on the lorlin switches.  I've added it to the BOM, qty 2.

Boards are here.  A few of the "board only" orders shipped today, rest are packed and shipping tomorrow.  Check your paypal for shipping info.  Update on panels in the morning.

All "board only" orders have shipped.  OK, panel update:  They are here.  I'm gonna have an aneurysm by the time this is over.  I need everyone to please chime in what they want me to do here.  There are a couple issues I'm not thrilled about.  It's nothing massive, but I'm a perfectionist with these kind of things and I want everyone to be happy.  I might be making it more of an issue than it actually is.  I'm waiting to hear back from the screener now to get some answers why there's any issues at all, but that doesn't really help the current situation.  All things considered, they look pretty damn nice, but here are the issues I have:

1) There's a slight L/R registration issue, it's around .5mm or so.  Looking at the pic now it's not that bad, but it's noticable to me.  You can see what I'm talking about in the "hpf" and "gain" pics.  It's possible if you wanted to drill open the holes a bit - would allow you to shift the control panel over a hair more for perfect alignment.

These other 2 are probably me being nitpicky, but

2) There's a tiny bit of "staircasing" going on in the vertical line on the "level" box.  I would have liked to see it a little sharper there.  This is probably me nit-picking, you have to really hold it up to your eye and stare to even notice it, it's not really even distinguishable in the pic.

3) The .9 circle above the release knob has a tiny little black spec on some of them.  It looks like a spec of something got on the film during the screening process.  Again, it's tiny, but it's there and I notice it, and so should have the screener.  I could send these ones back for touchup if anyone would like me to, but will delay me from being able to ship.

I will wait until I get some feedback here before I do anything further.  If your ok with these issues, I can ship your order.  Anyone that is not, please email me at [email protected].

DSC01590.JPG

DSC01598.JPG

DSC01594.JPG

DSC01603.JPG

DSC01593.JPG

...I am very much a perfectionist as well but I don't see anything major here.

Holy crap,  I thought I was anal!!  :eek:
Looks great man, ship em!

Sean

PS Looking at some of my brand named gear...
I see the dials on my TG2 are left by about 1.5mm  ;D

it looks ok to me. and if it does end up bothering me, i'm sure it's nothing a drill and a paint pen (and a DIY mentality) can't fix.

i really appreciate all of your effort, honesty and attention to detail. and with that i say:

SHIP 'EM!!!

As much as I'm a perfectionist also, I don't see a problem with the panels.
If I'm buying a finished, professional product, I wouldn't be too happy with these kind of things (in the case I'd notice them). But since it's DIY, it's really nothing major, if it starts bothering I'd come up with a DIY solution ;).
Much respect for all the work and headaches you put into this, you can be very proud of your work  ;D

I'm in the process of packing up the first half of the kits.  The post office closes before I get out of work, so will have to leave early to get there in time so need to make sure I get as many as possible out the door when I do go.  If I finish them up tonight they'll be shipping tomorrow.  If not then definately on wednesday.  Remainder of kits will ship a few days after.

Awright, put on your newbie-patience socks guys ;)

Will this off-shelf toroid do the job;

Diameter 68 mm
Primary 2 x 115 VAC, 50...60 Hz
Secondary 18(2x) VAC
Idle Voltage 1.20
Height 29 mm
Effekt 25 VA

-Rune

Hello Mike,

I received my SB4000 PCB today. All I can say is  :eek: :eek: :eek: ;D :eek: :eek: :eek: 8) :eek: :eek: :'(

It's a thing of beauty!

Thank you so much for this. I've never been this excited about a compressor...  :D

Cheers,

Mike

ruckus328 said:
I'm in the process of packing up the first half of the kits.  The post office closes before I get out of work, so will have to leave early to get there in time so need to make sure I get as many as possible out the door when I do go.  If I finish them up tonight they'll be shipping tomorrow.  If not then definately on wednesday.  Remainder of kits will ship a few days after.

You can schedule pickups, just pack them up and schedule them to pick up on the weekend.

Hopefully this isn't a one time only deal, I'm interested but want to kill some of the projects lying around here.

Back