Windows 7 Home vs Pro vs Ultimate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Hello, everyone. So I'm looking to finally upgrade my home (which is also my studio) machine to Windows 7, and I'm just curious if any of the more expensive options are really worth the money. I just need something that can do wireless networking and run my DAW software. Thanks!

generally speaking I wouldnt use any "home edition" for a Power User scenario. and for Ultimate (it even sounds funny) those type of installs seem to bite you when you try to migrate even a word doc to a lesser system for colleagues and such will have trouble opening the Uber-version of some software. even if you dont use the unique features on a file, it wont even open on the other box or will open in some safe style preview that doesnt follow your prefs. Ill even bet that protools certifications and such will be slow on the ultimate. which means that you get to discover all the bugs. (in the middle of a project)

again not speaking specifically about windows, just my reservations about any lesser/ or super version of any software.

Our sys admin loves 7 so far. (Pro)

Yip Win 7 is cool. I would reccomend Pro but if you dont need to do Domain level networking then Home Premium is fine too.

compare the different editions here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Cheers
Roger

Latest posts

Back